toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Ways Halloween Changed Once We Grew Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.
  • Trick-or-treating

October 31st meant one thing to you: trick-or-treating! With the biggest candy bag your arms could tote, you were more than prepared. Down the street, the tiny humans raced their friends to the houses with the best candy and coolest decorations. You’d probably steal the “good candy” from your younger siblings. Despite mom’s warnings, we all remember feeling sick from eating too much candy.

About a decade later, your idea of trick-or-treating consists of stealing the good shots from your friends. After you’ve had your fill of fun at one place, you’re ready to race your friends to the party with the best booze, hottest firefighters, and sexiest scarecrows. Later you’ll feel sick from inhaling too many Jell-O shots, but it’s totally worth it!

• Costumes

Flashback to your adorable eight year-old self shopping for costumes. Everywhere your eyes landed there were perfect pirate, pumpkin, and princess costumes. You were overwhelmed – but in the best ways, of course! In the end, your mom probably helped you make the final decision. You were the cutest ballerina on the block.

Now, there are two words that epitomize the perfect Halloween costume for college you: slutty or sexy…bonus points if you can pull off both. Remember, “In Girl World, Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything else about it.” So go all out, and be the sluttiest peacock at the party!

• Halloween Parties

At one point in time, being invited to a Halloween party was exhilarating, not only because you’d be able to mingle with your friends but also because you could finally show off your prized costume. The excitement for Halloween parties was only intensified by the buckets of candy and racks of cupcakes that you knew would be waiting on you.

Halloween parties in college take place in dimly lit houses, crowded to maximum capacity. Unfortunately, this probably means no-one will see what costume you finessed for the night…on the plus side that also means they can’t see that embarrassing body roll you relentlessly practiced in the mirror. Even better, it’s now absolutely acceptable to celebrate THREE days in one week. You’re guaranteed a good time – younger you is beaming with jealousy.

• Midnight

There never seemed to be enough hours in the day, and before you knew it Halloween was over. Despite your protests, your parents insisted that it was time to return home. Eventually, dad carried you to your bedroom, and by 10 o’clock you were fast asleep in your bed – you had blast!

Midnight means nothing to college you, she’s just getting started. Fast-forward…it’s now 3AM and you’re BFFs have to peel you off Rugby. Somehow you manage to stumble home and fall asleep on your bedroom floor – you were so close!

Hey, I'm Jordan! I'm a second year majoring in International Relations and Women, Gender & Sexuality. Here's my life in a nutshell: Feisty Feminist. Big hair enthusiast. Professional online shopper. Admirer of all things French. Overwhelmingly sarcastic. Lover of small animals.
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!