This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If your TikTok FYP is anything like mine, you’ve probably seen video after video of trend predictions for this upcoming spring. Some of the most compelling trends I’ve been seeing have actually been the 2000s-inspired hairstyles that I see everywhere now on social media. Definitely more out there than the messy buns and half-updo trends of the 2010s, I wanted to see how wearable these looks really were. I grabbed my roommate as a model, ran to CVS for some hair tools, and chose three trendy styles to try and recreate.

Bubble braids

This hairstyle was ridiculously quick and easy to do- all it required was a ton of tiny hair elastics! To make the bubble braids, I threw my roommate’s hair up into two high pigtails and added elastics down the length of each, tying off her hair after every 1-2 inches. The result was a very cute and bubbly hairstyle that totally goes with the Y2K fashion trends that are ruling this spring. I feel like this would be flattering on lots of different hair types and face shapes so I definitely recommend this one!

P.S. This one was my roommate’s favorite!

Tiny braids

If you’re like my roommate and me, you probably cut yourself curtain bangs over quarantine and are now in the awkward in-between stage of growing them out. I’ve seen lots of girls on TikTok braid their now chin-length bangs into two little face-framing braids, and I wanted to try that out for myself. The braids in the front were pretty straightforward, so I added a couple of longer ones to the side of my roommate’s hair to make them look more intentional. This hairstyle is even easier than the bubble braids and definitely more subtle, but still super cute!

Y2k Ponytail

This classic 2000s-style pony was definitely the hardest one to do and required quite a few bobby pins and a wet hairbrush to put together. The finished product wasn’t super clean, but I actually thought it looked so flattering and was worth the extra effort to do. In order to do this, I parted my roommate’s hair along the crown of her head (around where she’d wear a headband) and tied the back into a ponytail. I then created a deep side part from the front section and pinned the excess hair behind her ear. With her hair in the back, I brushed it up into a high ponytail, wrapped some hair around the elastic to hide it, and then used a straightener to flip out the ends in true Y2K-fashion. I felt like she looked straight out of a Lizzie Maguire episode, and I think out of the three I tried today this is the one I’ll be wearing the most this spring.

Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!
UVA Contributer Account