3 New TV Shows To Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.
The lives of college students are no doubt busy – we balance our classes, homework, part-time jobs, extracurriculars, and social lives on a daily basis.  It’s impossible to move full steam ahead without rest, so what better way to take a break than by checking out this fall’s new TV shows? Here are three promising freshman (I mean, first year) shows to keep on your radar:

1. Gotham, premiering Monday, September 22nd at 8 PM on Fox
This Batman origin story stars The O.C.’s (And UVA’s own!!) Ben McKenzie, who plays a young Detective Gordon trying to uncover the murder of Bruce Wayne’s parents.  It also features a string of Batman’s enemies – Catwoman, the Riddler, the Penguin, and Poison Ivy – before they became the supervillains we know and love. 

2. How To Get Away With Murder, premiering Thursday, September 25th at 10 PM on ABC
In this drama, Oscar-nominated actress Viola Davis (from The Help) plays a criminal law professor who pushes her students to the breaking point and stops at nothing to win her cases.  If she affectionately calls her class “How To Get Away With Murder”, you know that these students are getting more than they signed up for! If you’re a fan of Shonda Rhime’s other shows Scandal or Grey’s Anatomy, be sure to sure to chime in to what is now being dubbed “Shonda” night on ABC. 

3. Marry Me, premiering Tuesday, October 14th at 9 PM on NBC
Comedies often come and go like Charlottesville weather, so it’s hard to say whether Marry Me, a Happy Endings lookalike starring Casey Wilson and Ken Marino, and other rom-com shows like A to Z will actually stick around for very long.  Wilson and Marino play a couple who want to get engaged, but can’t seem to make things work out how they want them to.  The trailer grabbed my attention despite the familiar plot, so hopefully the talented cast can pull it off. 

Only time will tell if these three shows turn out to be hits or misses, but you’ll never know if you’ll like them unless you watch!  If not, we always have Netflix.

Sarah is a fourth year media studies major and Spanish minor at UVA who is admittedly way too obsessed with pop culture.  Wahoowa!  
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!