This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Podcasts have become an increasingly popular medium for news and entertainment, and I have finally joined the podcast streaming community.  More specifically, I have tuned into some awesome podcasts hosted by women, and I think they deserve more recognition. Although the podcast industry is still mainly male dominated, there are great podcasts created by women for women that are starting to gain popularity. 

1. Thick and Thin hosted by Katy Bellotte 

(Photo via anchor.fm) 

“The musings of a millennial girl living in New York City about life, love & everything in between.” 

Katy Bellotte is a youtuber and social media influencer whom I have been a fan of since middle school.  She is seriously living my dream, and I aspire to be at her level of maturity and achievement post-grad. Her podcasts make me feel like I’m grabbing coffee with an older sister on a Sunday morning, and I love streaming it in the background while getting ready for the day. Her small anecdotes about life, love, and adulting are very relatable and reassuring to hear. 

2. The History Chicks

(Photo via thehistorychicks.com) 

“Two women. Half the population. Several thousand years of history. About an hour.”  

This podcast features the side of history that is often forgotten – the female side. Beckett Graham and Susan Vollenweider introduce both factual and fictional female characters in history with details that most people are unaware of. Some of their episodes feature amazing women like Audrey Hepburn, Phillis Wheatley, and Coco Chanel. 

3. Skimm This 

(Photo via theskimm.com) 

“The news is constantly changing. And in today’s world, context is clarity. Skimm This breaks down the biggest stories of the day and connects the dots on why they matter.” 

Skimm This is an extension of the Skimm, a subscription newsletter that breaks down important current events for female millenials. These podcasts are under 20 minutes, and a perfect listen while commuting. All of the information in each episode is clear, concise, and much more digestible than the news provided by broadcast television networks. I love this podcast and listen to it almost every afternoon. 

I highly recommend checking these podcasts out – you can stream them while getting ready or while winding down for the evening.

Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!