hiking travel colorado nature trees backpack hat sunglasses
Cameron Smith / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

3 Fall Hikes for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As we move deeper into fall, the leaves are changing colors, the air is getting cooler, and, of course, the midterms are getting harder. With our obligation to social distance and keep our circles of friends small this year, it can feel impossible to find reasons to get out of the house. Have no fear; I have your solution. We are fortunate enough at UVA to be located in the Appalachian Mountains, meaning there is one easy and obvious activity: hiking! Here are three popular and relatively easy hikes for when you need a safe and fun reason to get out of the house.

Humpback Rock

If you scroll through Instagram this time of year, it’s filled with pictures from the top of this hike. While you may think it’s too basic or mainstream to do, I’m telling you: hop on the bandwagon. Humpback is a 0.8-mile hike up to a jagged, rocky top with breathtaking views. I did this hike for the first time this summer, but I can just picture the views in the fall: a sea of yellow, red, and orange leaves for as far as the eye can see. One more note: you may see 0.8 miles (1.6 round trip) and think, “Oh, well that’s easy! That’s not even a mile!” I, too, fell victim to this thought. It is 0.8 miles straight uphill, climbing up a trail of rocks and stairs. If you’re like me and have been lacking with the exercise this quarantine, this hike is sure to leave you out of breath and feeling somewhat accomplished.

Crabtree Falls

If you’re looking for a longer hike with a myriad of beautiful views, everyone raves about this 2.5-mile loop trail. At the end of the trail, a gorgeous waterfall cascades over a 60-foot tall rock structure. The hiking is a bit strenuous, including some steep inclines and rocky paths, but nothing a beginner can’t conquer. It takes about 1.5-2.5 hours to hike, but my recommendation is to take a nice, long stop at the waterfall. Bring some snacks, a speaker, or a book, and give yourself some time to unwind. You will not only feel fulfilled by all this exercise; you will also feel refreshed by a day out of the house and feel ready to tackle that usually-draining school work.

Sugar Hollow

When all you want to do is relax and be outside, this trail is the place to go. The main attraction of this hike is the swimming holes, which you might still be able to take advantage of during these last few warm days of fall. The trail itself is shady and wide, great for a relaxing walk with lots of stops to soak up the scenery. I will warn you: there are several river crossings along the trail, so make sure you wear the appropriate footwear. This is definitely the hike to do with a group of friends, picnic basket in hand. Make a day of it!

During this pandemic, it is so important to find fun and safe activities to get you out of the house. I know I often feel so wrapped up in school work, constantly missing the action-packed days before the pandemic. Hiking is just one small activity that will not only be an escape from your apartment, dorm, or house but will also leave you feeling calm and rejuvenated. So, get out there, hike some trails, and give your mind a rest.

I am a second year studying in the College of Arts & Sciences. I love watching Netflix, hiking, and spending time with friends. Thanks for reading my work!