10 Spring Break Reads and their Collegiette Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Spring Break is now upon us and I think it’s safe to say everyone is ready for some R&R. You’re exhausted, over worked, and quite frankly just reading to get off Grounds. Whether you’re heading to the sunny beaches of Florida, exploring New York City, or just relaxing at home, I’ve compiled a list of the top ten books that will help you unwind this Spring Break. They’re beach worthy, airport worthy, and so brilliant they’ll transport you to a world outside the academic realm. It’s time to set aside school reading, and get back to the place where reading used to be enjoyable and memorable. It’s been a New Year’s resolution of mine to read more outside of school, and these books definitely make that goal easier. You’ll find inspiring stories and challenging narratives that will make you read faster towards the end. No matter your travel plans, pick up one of these ten books and enjoy reading, for fun, again.

The Award Winning

1.     Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

(photo courtesy of Amazon)

The Feminist

2.     Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay

(photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

The Legendary

3.     The Immortal Life Of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

(photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

The Famous Alumni  

4.     Bossypants by Tina Fey

(photo courtesy of Amazon)  

The Hilarious

5.     Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick

(photo courtesy of Scrappy Little Nobody)

The Childhood Classic

6.     The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

(photo courtesy of Amazon)

The Confidence Booster

7.     You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero

(photo courtesy of Good Reads)  

The Life Changer

8.     The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

(photo courtesy of Good Reads)

The Romantic Poet

9.     The Dream of a Common Language by Adrienne Rich

(photo courtesy of Amazon)

The Thriller

10.     Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

(photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

No matter where you are this Spring Break, I hope you consider reading one of the suggested novels above. Whether you are in the mood for a childhood classic, want to catch up on hidden history, or have seen the movie and now want to read the novel, these recommendations will give you the opportunity to slow down and take it easy. I hope everyone has an amazing Spring Break and if you have read any of these novels please leave a comment below, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Happy Reading!

Third year at UVA majoring in Women, Gender, and Sexuality studies.