Who Let the Dogs…Back Inside? Joe Biden Did!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Since the United States’ second president, John Adams, many four-legged friends have graced the White House with their presence. Very few presidents have lacked a furry companion, maybe because they give positive publicity. 

Once Donald Trump was elected president, it marked the first time there wouldn’t be a dog in the White House in decades. It wasn’t until he began to run for re-election when he explained that the idea of having a dog seems “phony” and he “doesn’t have any time.” 

Late 2020, then president-elect Joe Biden, was injured after playing with Major, President Biden’s newest furry sidekick. Champ was adopted in 2008, following former President Barack Obama’s win. Major was adopted in 2018 from the Delaware Humane Association, which held a virtual “indoguration” fundraiser in honor of Major’s journey from shelter dog to White House royalty. The event raised over $200,00 for the Delaware Humane Association. 

On Monday, January 25, Champ and Major were brought to their new home for the next four years, the White House, with a barking entrance.

Education major I run a mini food blog: https://www.instagram.com/tealfoodie/ Dog mom