This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

As the spring semester draws to a close, the notion that summer break is finally upon us becomes a reality. At this time of year, the only thing on current UTSA student’s minds are passing finals and returning home to kick off summer 2016. For incoming UTSA freshmen, this time of year signifies one of the biggest transitions in a person’s life: college. Every summer, it is required for each incoming UTSA freshman to attend orientation, also known as “Roadrunner Roundup.”

Orientation is held at the main campus and lasts for three days and two nights (yes you do have to stay on-campus overnight!) There are ten sessions offered, starting in June and ending in August, which is during the heat of the summer, so make sure to dress appropriately and stay hydrated! As a sophomore, I can look back now and say that attempting to dress cute, styling your hair, and applying makeup for orientation is pointless. While you may be excited about your new surroundings and want to look your best (ladies), the Texas sun beating down on your back will not play in your favor. It is recommended that your clothing be light-colored (so as to reflect the sun), wear shoes that would ensure comfortable walking, and make absolutely certain to bring a water bottle. And for you fair-skinned people, apply sun screen! Registration for orientation has already begun and operates on a first come, first served basis, so if you happen to be an incoming freshman and haven’t already registered, make sure to do so via ASAP (Automated Student Access Program). Orientation goes by fast, so be sure to pay attention and keep in mind that this campus is going to be your home for the next four years, so get excited, and get rowdy!

* Photo provided by mySA newspaper

Currently a freshman at the University of Texas at San Antonio who loves food and loves to travel. I am a Psychology major as well as a member of Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity. Hoping to be a big contributor to Her Campus here at UTSA!
I'm 20. My bio is about as full as my bowl of queso. Traveling the world and pretending I'm good at photography are my passions. Texas ∞