UTSA Organization Profile — Women in Leadership with Ana-Sofia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

HC UTSA Member Cris’tina sat down with the President of Women In Leadership, Ana-Sofia, to find out more about this organization comprised of strong and powerful women.

Organization Name:

Women in Leadership (WIL)

When were you established?

We started being an active organization the beginning of Spring 2017. Emily and I had roughly been planning stuff all of Fall 2016. We started because I had this idea, and posted on the Class of 2019 Facebook page and was like “I want to create a feminist women’s organization, who wants to be a part of it?” I only got one response and it was from Emily! We started small and had maybe 10-12 active members, but last fall we grew and got more people interested and have even gotten other departments involved.

What is your mission or purpose?

We’re a feminist organization that seeks to empower people and get them to be more self-aware. Instead of being politically driven, we focus it more on making members feel like they can be leaders in their everyday lives, hence the name.

Do you have other chapters at any other universities?

I actually got the idea for this club from this girl who started WIL at Loyola Chicago, where I was super close to going to for college. She’s insanely involved and started WIL at Loyola. So it’s kind of the same, but they’re not connected, even though I got the idea and basis from her. I just felt like we needed a feminist group on this campus, so here we are!

Who holds the leadership positions?

Lauren Horton – Community Service & Fundraising Chair

Diana De La Fuente – Community Service & Fundraising Co-Chair

Brianna Diaz – Events Chair

Kayla Pringle – Events Co-Chair

Melandi Hanley – Secretary

Judith Monterrosa – Treasurer

Jennifer Soto – Marketing and Public Relations

Emily Turner – Vice President

Ana-Sofia Gonzalez – President

What’s your favorite thing about this organization?

It’s my baby I made this! I care about it so much. My fave thing about it is that it’s just trying to empower women. So many women including myself don’t know that their voice matters.

How does your organization stay involved on campus?

We try and partner up with people when we can, or show up to other organization’s meetings.

Any particular events your organization participates in?

In the spring, we did Day of Service, held a Women in Higher Education panel with 5 UTSA female staff members for Women’s History Month, and hosted Bras 4 A Cause for the second time where we collected bras and feminine products. We also try to host socials to get people involved and take part in Best Fest and Fiesta UTSA.

Favorite event to be a part of?

The bra drive, because it’s a cool way for members to bond.

Does the organization accept anyone in or is it selective-only?

Anybody can be a member! You don’t even have to be a woman. However, Exec Board positions do have applications.

Do you partner or volunteer with any other organizations (on or off campus)?

We’ve partnered with the Battered Women’s Shelter, I Support the Girls, Dress for Success (they provide professional wear for women who don’t have formal wear), and have ongoing convos with Women of Honor and Students for Planned Parenthood.

Any tips for someone who wishes to join, but is too shy to?

Don’t be shy!  We’re all different. Everyone’s different, everyone’s welcome. Don’t be scared.

What are your goals for the organization for the next 2-5 years?  

I’m leaving soon, so currently I need there to be a stable foundation of E-Board members who are passionate and care for the organization. I hope to double the membership and I’d like to have more big events during the semester.

Finally, why should people join?

People should join because if every person recognizes they have the potential to change someone’s mind or the world for the better, then we can go nowhere but up. But if people don’t realize the power in themselves, then we can’t go anywhere at all. It’s something that’s so easy to start, but nobody focuses on it. If you just compliment/motivate someone and get them to recognize how important they are, that’s the beginning of everything for them. It’ll give them a sense of confidence, and that’s especially important for women– because it’s not something that’s really taught to us when we’re younger. If they did teach us that, we wouldn’t feel so awkward and boxed up in growing up. We have no reason to feel that way and I want to change that, but I’m only one person. That’s why people should join because we can all change this perspective if we all do it together.

Meeting times:

Every other Thursday starting September 6 at 5:30 pm in the Hidalgo Room

Social Media:

Twitter and Instagram – @wilutsa

Facebook Group – Women in Leadership at UTSA

Dallasite located in San An / UTSA / Popsicle & Milkshake Enthusiast 
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.