This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

I have been in a relationship with the same person for 6 years and we have grown together. We first started dating in High School when I was 15, and he was 17. Now we are both in our 20s and close to graduating college. Here are two of the biggest things I have learned over the past few years.

1. It’s okay to take some time to yourself, but make sure you keep the other person in the loop.

We had this thing where we would tell each other “we needed a day” and we would respect the other and give them the day apart. It first started out as just one day here and there… then it got worse. It turned from taking a day to ourselves to using it as a way to not speak with each other about how we were feeling. Doing this almost ruined our relationship. What stopped us from ending it was that he forced us to talk. Taking time is a good way to figure out who you are, but don’t let it keep you from communicating with each other.

2. You are going to grow up no matter how long the relationship lasts and it won’t always be at the same rate.

One person always moves faster than the other, and that’s fine! Just make sure it is not hurting you or the other person in the process.

Through that time we have changed and grown up a lot and trying to find who we are while being with each other has had its positives and negatives. Our relationship has not been perfect but we have worked through it and have made it stronger.