This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Whenever the topic of siblings comes up in conversation I almost always internally groan. When I explain that I’m an only child, sometimes I receive a look of pity. I never understood why being an only child was seen as such a negative thing. I’m proud to be an only child, and I’m here to open the door and explain just what it is like to be one.

I think the number one stereotype associated with only children is that we are all spoiled brats. I would like to say that NO, I am not a spoiled brat and NO I do not receive everything I ask for.

I am blessed to have parents who have worked hard to provide for me my entire life. I shouldn’t have to deal with a type of backlash whenever I receive a gift from my parents because I am an only child and that automatically classifies me as a “spoiled ungrateful brat who doesn’t know how to share” to some people.

Don’t even get me started on the topic of sharing. And that is not me up there all the time and yes I can share when it is necessary, but that doesn’t mean it is my favorite thing in the world. I refuse to be unreasonable. (most the time)

I believe that only children mature a lot faster than other children from larger families. The majority of our early childhood social interaction consists of mainly adults such as parents and grandparents. By interacting and communicating with adults starting from an early age, we catch onto things quicker and have lots of different experiences than other children our age.

Only children aren’t always lonely, despite what most people think. We grew up with vibrant imaginations and lots of friends. However, I love being alone. I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed being by myself until I moved into my dorm at the beginning of my freshman year of college. I couldn’t wrap my mind around the fact that the people living on my floor were constantly hanging out and socializing with one another. I’m not saying I’m anti-social, but I need some time to myself. I love being on my own where I am my own company. It’s an only child thing, don’t even try to understand it unless you are an only child yourself.

The best part about being an only child in my eyes is the relationship I have with my parents. I have always been close with my mom and dad. I never went through the “UGH I hate my mom” phase as a teenager. My mom is my best friend in the entire world and I literally tell her everything. On a Friday night, there is a 99.9% chance that you can catch me hanging out with my parents instead of going out. If someone were to say, “you wanna go out Friday”?

Being an only child isn’t this terrible thing that most people it out to be. Besides, I’m an only child for a great reason… the world could only handle ONE of me!

Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.