Tokio Hotel Bring The April Showers With Their New Single, “When It Rains It Pours”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

2019 is a year that is driving me crazy, but in the best way possible.

If you have me on any type of social media, then you know I have been screaming about the Jonas Brothers coming back and releasing new music. It breaks my heart to say this, but while freaking out about Cool being released, I missed another new song release from one of my other favorite childhood bands…

Tokio Hotel.

I know, you’re probably either questioning who the hell they are, or if they are even still making music.

Last Friday, the band released When It Rains It Pours — and this song deserves way more credit than it is currently getting.

YouTube/Tokio Hotel

After receiving a extremely delayed email from Spotify informing me that Tokio Hotel released new music, I approached with caution.

Saying I loved their hard-rock sound is an understatement — bless my parents for tolerating their 11-year-old daughter singing along to some random German rock band. I wasn’t the biggest fan of their newer electronic sound from songs like Melancholic Paradise and Girl Got A Gun, but I did enjoy their songs such as: Darkside of the Sun and Boy Don’t Cry.  I totally understand that sounds change and bands evolve, it’s expected. What I didn’t expect, however, was Tom’s incredible guitar riff to come out of my earphones when I listened to When It Rains It Pours for the first time.

Have you ever listened to a song for the first time, had it creep into your soul, and it made you fall in love with music over again for the umpteenth time? When It Rains It Pours (abbreviated by fans online using WIRIP) did that for me. Bill’s emotional and soulful vocals mixed in with piercing falsetto during the chorus complement the music perfectly.

The “old school” rock Tokio Hotel is back, but with a happily welcomed more mature sound. It was nice to see them stepping away from their electronic side, and embracing the sound of the instruments the band started on.

Seeing all four members of the band getting screen time in the music video for WIRIP was nice as well. I am hoping that the rain in the music video not only compliments the song, but is also a not so subtle nod to the music videos for Durch Den Monsun and Monsoon.

The music world in 2019 is thriving in my opinion. We are getting amazing new music from artists both young and old. That being said, I’m almost afraid to ask the question, “Who’s going to release new music next?”

Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.