This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

When I first began my college career in 2018, I was barely getting accustomed to the independent lifestyle. No more relying on my parents to fend for me, learning how to wash my own sheets and clothes, and keeping track of my daily responsibilities: Needless to say, I felt useless. I had never been on my own and I was having trouble getting used to the fact that my parents were four hours away. Buying my own groceries and having to cook for myself became a task- that is until I began to have a passion for it. I viewed cooking for myself as a break from my studies, as a hobby, and a way to get creative.  

I would buy the basic things almost everyone eats: eggs, rice, beans, bread, etc. Until I thought further. Health should be the most important thing to a college student, whether it be mental, physical, or emotional health. With that being said, I decided to start with my physical health. I bought plenty of vegetables and protein at the grocery store and began my journey of creating healthy and delicious recipes. Here are three recipes I modified from cookbooks and online blogs to make my own:  

Salmon with Mango Sauce: 

I tend to always taunt myself with the fact that I still continue to eat meat and fish. I have made a  promise to myself that by the time November comes I will be meat-free. For those of you who aren’t vegan, here’s a great tropical seafood recipe: 

Ingredients: 

●Salmon 

●Mango 

●Cilantro 

●Avocado 

●Cucumber  

●Lime 

●Turmeric, paprika, and oregano 

●Any type of oil (I use extra-virgin avocado oil) 

Directions: 

Salmon 

Let salmon cool to room temperature and start marinating. Rub paprika, turmeric, and oregano onto the salmon (you can also add salt and pepper if you’d like). Preheat the oven to 400 F. 

Sprinkle an oven safe microwave with the oil of your choice. While the salmon is absorbing the spices and the oven is preheating, move on to the sauce.  

Mango Sauce 

While the salmon is in the oven (bake for 10-12 minutes), begin preparing the mango sauce. I chop one mango into cubes, a handful of cilantro, one cucumber, and one avocado. I mix all these ingredients into one bowl and then I add ½ cup of lime juice and 3 teaspoons of oil. If by the time you finish the sauce the salmon still isn’t done, place the bowl of veggies and fruit into the fridge. When the salmon is cooked and ready, add the sauce on top of the salmon and enjoy! 

Honey Roasted Chicken Breast  

For this recipe, I got creative and invented one on my own. I am a person who loves strong spices and dressings so I always make sure to have plenty of vinegar and oils. This recipe is incredibly easy and can be cooked in less than 10 minutes! Here’s a great healthy recipe: 

Ingredients: 

●Organic chicken breast 

●5-10 cherry tomatoes 

●Raw honey or brown sugar 

●Balsamic Vinegar 

●Garlic   

Directions: 

Begin by slicing garlic cloves, place them onto the pan on low heat with oil and let them brown. 

Cut the amount of your choice of cherry tomatoes -I use 8- and then spread them upon the pan next to the garlic. The cherry tomatoes will start to soften, letting the flavor out into the pan. 

Next, add ⅓ cup of raw honey and 3 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar. Cover the pan and let the ingredients steam. For the chicken breast, I season it with simply salt and pepper (you may add any other seasoning). Once the chicken is seasoned, move the ingredients to the side and add it to the pan and cover it. In about 3 minutes of the chicken being covered, a spoon will be needed to scoop the vinegar and honey onto the chicken. Turn the chicken and do the same. Once the chicken is done pour the honey and vinegar mixture onto it as well as the tomatoes. This recipe is great served next to cauliflower rice, which brings us to our next recipe.  

Cauliflower Fried Rice 

This recipe is great for vegetarians or anyone who wants an all-veggie meal. This recipe is my favorite, it is the complete same as eating out at a Chinese restaurant (but with way fewer calories.)

For lovers of spicy mayo like myself, I will add a great vegan alternative to spicy mayo also. 

This recipe should take no more than 5 minutes! 

Ingredients: 

●Cauliflower 

●Vegan Mayo 

●Low sodium soy sauce 

●1 carrot 

●2 eggs 

●1 stalk of celery 

●Peas  

●Sriracha  

●Any oil (sesame oil preferred)  

●Green onion  

Cauliflower rice: 

Begin by washing and disinfecting your desired amount of cauliflower florets. In a food processor place the cauliflower florets and grind until the cauliflower takes the same shape and size as a grain of rice. Move the cauliflower onto a mesh napkin and squeeze until the cauliflower is dry. On a separate cutting board, chop carrots, green onions, peas, and celery into small cubes. 

Scramble 2 eggs in a bowl and pour onto pan. When ready set the scrambled eggs aside. In the same pan, add your choice of oil and begin softening/browning the vegetables. Upon completion, add cauliflower rice and scrambled eggs. Mix all the ingredients together and add the desired amount of soy sauce.  

Spicy Mayo: 

If you’re vegan, I recommend purchasing vegan mayonnaise, which is a great alternative to mayonnaise: if you’re not vegan or vegetarian like myself, I would use Japanese mayonnaise. 

Begin by adding 1 tbsp of your preferred mayo into a small bowl. Next, add 1 tsp of sriracha sauce and mix well. If you are preparing a bigger portion, you could add 2 tbsp of mayo and 2 tsp of sriracha sauce. Mix spicy mayo along with your cauliflower rice and enjoy! 

Thank you for reading my recipes! Feel free to add your own ingredients, as a second-year college student I’ve learned a great deal in only one small year and I hope you can too!

I am currently a sophomore at the University of Texas at San Antonio. My studies are focused on Business Marketing, with an intent to take my studies into law school, and hopefully one day fulfill my goal of practicing Corporate Law. I am enthusiastic about food and drink, films, writing and literature, and spending time with friends and family.
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.