The Character We NEED in The L Word: Generation Q

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

The L Word: Generation Q was recently renewed for season 3, giving us assumptions and hopes for what’s to come. There’s no doubt that Bette and Tina’s pending relationship, Shane’s romance, and Alice’s career are being pondered among viewers. These storylines, and a myriad of others, can be talked about left and right with countless predictions, but what really needs to be discussed is what infamous character from the original show needs to be brought back. 

Without a doubt Helena Peabody needs to make a reapperance. Rachel Shelley played Helena from season 2 through 6. Helena’s character was introduced on the show through her work as the director of the Peabody Foundation, a role in which she took over after her mother, Peggy Peabody (played by Holland Taylor), retired. Throughout the show, Helena’s character goes through quite a lot, and as things occur in her professional and familial life, her friendships with the main women of the show blossom until she is fully a part of the group. 

Helena’s role in the group serves as a generous friend who is not afraid to put her two cents into each situation one of the other women gets into. Her blunt commentary pushed other characters to think deeper and with a different perspective about their situations. The way her character interacted with the others makes this season the perfect one for her to come back.

Helena would offer Alice support and help her through navigating what’s next in her career, support Shane in her relationship with Tess, and so on. Even with the new characters, she could be an amazing source of support and light in their lives. Her attitude and spunk would add so much to the show, making it even more enjoyable. 

The future of the show is subject to multiple changes and storylines. Though what will happen in its future is unknown, speculation and hope will always be present. If you want to rewatch these shows before the third season comes out, The L Word and The L Word: Generation Q are available to stream on Hulu. 

Hello! My name is Vanessa Moya and I am a communications major! I love to write, explore, and be creative in multiple mediums. My main goal is to spread love and acceptance anywhere that I go and in all things I do.