This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

This past week I got fired from my job and I have kept a job at all times since my sophomore year of high school. My initial response was to freak out because I have bills that will keep going regardless of whether or not I have a job, so I did and now I’ve stopped freaking out since. I realized how stressed I was over a job that paid just enough to pay the bills. I was not taking care of myself. I strayed religiously and mentally and physically, for what? For a job, and I should not have. During my first week of being unemployed, I took a really long bath, and I cooked some dinner, and I painted my nails and plucked my eyebrows, and just finally took care of myself for the first time in a long time. My experience should serve as a friendly reminder to step back and live your life. Don’t just exist. Drink water, take a mental break, do a face mask, bake for your friends, take a long drive. Do whatever it takes to remain grounded. And don’t forget to check on your friends and reach out if you need to. It’s always okay to not be okay. As for my job search, I’ve applied to some places and heard from others. We can only do so much, though. Now I just sit back and wait.

UTSA '24 / SOSA / she/her /It's your life, just remember to enjoy it.