This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

In life, failure can be the new name we didn’t know we adopted. There is no such thing as getting it right every time, getting that job position, or that girl or boy we may want. Life involves failures and disappointments. BUT, life is about shaking those off and stepping back up!

I know patience is not the easiest thing to attain in life, but trust me, it is much needed. Patience is needed when you do not get something down right off the bat. It is required when you’re searching for a job and have gotten turned down by four already. Patience is of the utmost importance for life and your mentality.

There is a little saying I heard a Pastor at church once say about when things do not go our way. The saying goes, “shake it off and step up.” If we let every little failure break us down, we become nothing. I’ve heard life is about being something and making something out of ourselves. So, if that’s true, then how do we become something if we continuously let the failures and disappointments in life get to us so bad to the point where we feel like nothing?

If there’s one thing I know, it is failure and being disappointed. That sounds so bad considering I am only 21 years old, but hey, I’ve come a long way, and I’m sure you have too! When I start to let one failure or one disappointment from either a person or a thing get to me, I don’t feel like myself. Ever since hearing that, one Pastor describes that by saying I learned what to do when I start to feel like nothing.

The secret.. you want to know what it is? Well, the first part is shaking off the old dust that tried to get in your eye and make you think you’re less than what you actually are. The second part, after you dusted your pants, is to get up and step up. There is no room for thinking you are not good enough for a specific job, a certain person, or a particular skill! You have the potential for anything, just please be patient and don’t let the small or big failures in life get to you.

Hi, I'm Natalie and am a junior at UTSA! Born and raised in San Antonio, I basically live at La Cantera mall. Catch me writing, reading or laughing too much!