Wellness

Need to Get Your Greens in? Here are 3 Green Superfood Powder Reviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

I would highly suggest taking greens in the morning to get in some fruits and veggies. It’s suggested to take some in the mornings on an empty stomach to help with the meals you eat throughout the day. I tried three different brands of green superfood powders, and here’s my review for each of them.

• Amazing Grass: This is the cheapest brand I’ve found that help me with my digestion. I take these greens every day. You can get them at almost any supermarket. The price for this brand is $23 which isn’t too bad, and I would say it lasts me about a month or so (when taken every day). The original flavor doesn’t taste good with just water, but it’s manageable. A good substitution is taking the scoop of the greens with apple juice instead. The mixed berry (antioxidant) flavor is so much better taste-wise. It’s a little bit sweeter, but not sour. The chocolate one is my least favorite. It tastes like watered down chocolate and the doesn’t mix at all into water. I tried it with milk and got the same results. It’s just clumps of the powder. The flaw with this brand is that the powder doesn’t mix fully into the water, it’s gritty. The powder seems to stay in the bottom, so I keep a spoon in there to mix before I take each gulp, so I’m not swallowing a whole glob of wet powder that deposits to the bottom of the cup. 
  • Athletic Greens: This brand is the most expensive. I only take it when I’m at my mom’s house, so it’s not an everyday occurrence. The cost of Athletic Greens is $99, and you can purchase it through their website. I would say it has the same life span as the Amazing Grass brand (30 servings). What’s cool about this brand is that when you have a subscription, it’s $79.99 which ships every 30 days. The flavor is sweeter and doesn’t have as much of a straight greens taste. It mixes well with water as well.
  • BioSchwartz: The cost of this brand is $24.99, and you can buy it from their website. I hated this one to be honest. The texture was sort of gooey and it made me want to throw up because it just felt so thick. I had to use half apple juice and half water because water by itself was unbearable. I may be dramatic, but it just wasn’t for me.  

All in all, greens powder helps with digestion and consistent bowel movements! Of course, getting physical activity in, as well as eating physical fruits and veggies, helps your gut continue to stay healthy, therefore allowing not just your physical, but mental health to be working properly. Everything is connected, so makes sure to fuel your body!

Hi! I'm Madi Smith! I'm a freshman, but with credits, I am a sophomore. I love to workout, meet new people, and make food!