This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Decision making in college is either a hit or miss. This is the first time in almost your whole life you are able to make all of your own decisions without your parents breathing down your neck. This includes picking your class schedule and what type of classes to take. As someone who has taken plenty of in-person and online classes, here are some things to consider before signing up for an online class:

1. Do you REALLY know how to study? If you don’t, don’t worry, you are not the only one. Plenty of college students don’t know the proper way to study. This is due to the fact that everyone retains information differently. It might be in a group setting, by yourself, repetition, or just finding that one thing that helps you focus. (In my case, it is with the latest Beyoncé album in the background and a cold can of Red Bull). In order to find the best way to study, I would try everything and anything and see which one helps you the most. 

2. Organization: MAJOR KEY Most online class professors throw everything at you the very first day Blackboard will let them. They post all assignments, quizzes, and material that you will be going over through the entire semester. This can be very overwhelming for some. One thing that will help you through that lengthy syllabus will be spending time with that brand new planner. Take time to sit down and write the important dates. I would go all out with stickers, bold letters, and color coordination. This is just one step that will help you not only get your life together but make you aware of what is going on in the class.

3. Don’t be ashamed to ask questions. I abide by the statement that when it comes to school there is no such thing as a dumb question. Although professors have literally everything in the syllabus, if you don’t understand it, make sure they know that. Not only will they be more than willing to help, they will probably break it down in a way where you will be able to understand. 

4. Connect with your classmates: Group study sessions are a must for both online and in-person classes. Sometimes you can’t understand everything on your own. Your classmates may understand something that you don’t and vice-versa. Help others help you. Introduce yourself and shoot them an email with your contact information. 

5. DON’T put the PRO in PROcrastination: If you know you are the queen of procrastination, then online classes are most likely not for you. Take it from experience. If you wait until the very last minute on an assignment that was introduced to you from the very beginning, then more than likely you will be overwhelmed and not preform to your best potential. Take time to plan things out.  6. Hybrid Hybrid classes are probably going to be your best bet if you are a beginner. Hybrid classes give you a taste of a full online class. You meet once a week with your professor in person and then the rest is online. This is a good starter class if you are even a bit interested in online class.

7. FREEDOM If you feel confident that you will be successful in an online class, then I would say GO FOR IT. If your life is hectic, online classes give you the freedom to do work on your own time. 

College sophomore communications major at the University of Texas at San Antonio. I am learning the ropes of how to maintain a healthy lifestyle, good grades, and an actual social life.