This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

While I, like everyone, have the occasional small breakout, I would like to think that my skin is pretty good. This is only after a lot of trial and error, so I am only now at a point where I have my true go-to skincare products. Before I get into it, I should mention that we all have different skin with different needs. I happen to have dry-combination skin that isn’t really prone to breakouts to begin with (I know, it’s obnoxious to say) so keep this in mind before taking this as bible! Something universal I can suggest as far as skincare products go is this: go as natural and as simple as possible, and always go for cruelty-free! I also tried to list these products in the order that I would use them.

• Oil-based cleanser (only used after days that I wear makeup!): Burt’s Bees Facial Cleansing Oil

• Chemical exfoliating cleanser (only on nights that I’m going to wear a facemask, and only up to 2 times per week): Pixi Glow Mud Cleanser

• Current favorite facemask (whenever I feel like I need some good detoxifying): Yes to Tomatoes Detoxifying Charcoal Mud Mask

• Lifetime favorite facemask (When my skin needs TLC, and I need relaxation): Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque

• Water-based cleanser (every morning and night!): Dr. Bronner’s Hemp Pure-Castile Soap, Peppermint

• SPF Moisturizer (every morning, even on the “oily” parts of my face — SPF is the most important part!): Up&Up Unscented Facial Moisturizing Lotion with SPF 15

So there it is, not a long list by any means. These are all the products I regularly use that fit my skincare needs. I spent a lot of time (and money) on fancy products only to get to this point, where a lot of what I use can be found at the drug store and works way better! While we all have different skin care needs, the points everyone can take out of this is that good products don’t have to be expensive and a little education about your skin can go a long way! (Also: PLEASE go cruelty-free and use SPF!)

Currently: running to class Later: running for office
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.