girl with jean jacket yellow wall
girl with jean jacket yellow wall
Taylor Thoman / Her Campus
Style > Beauty

Is Microblading Worth It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Microblading became popular a few years ago, and I’ve always been interested in how it works and if it’s worth it. I went ahead and did the research, so you don’t have to! 

For those of you that don’t know, mircroblading is a semi-permanent eyebrow treatment and tattoo. The treatment uses a blade of fine-point needles to scratch the surface of the skin while adding pigment. This gives the customer a full eyebrow look and typically lasts 12 to 18 months. The treatment requires a consultation, two sessions, and a yearly touch up. The color comes out dark after the first session, but it fades later on. There are different effects you can get from microblading. You can choose from a full eyebrow effect or an ombre effect.

Mircoblading can be useful for people with busy schedules and reduces the time of your makeup routine. However, it is on the pricey side. The average cost of the procedure in San Antonio, Texas, is $494. The average cost of the consultation, sessions, and annual touch-ups is around $1000. 

Now, if we compare microblading to normal eyebrow products, it comes out cheaper. The average price of eyebrow makeup is $18. Eyebrow products tend to last about 6 to 18 months, depending on the product and how much you use. A liquid product lasts for six months, a gel product lasts for 12 months, and an eyebrow pencil lasts for 18 months. The average cost per year is $24 if you get all three products. According to a People article, the average amount spent on makeup is $43. Let’s say you buy makeup every month; that totals to $516 spent on makeup a year. Now let’s say you just buy eyebrow products every month; that totals out to $216. So, if you do microblading, you save $300 on makeup products. That money would then go to micro-blading.

So…is it worth it? If your schedule doesn’t allow you enough time to do your eyebrows every morning, then I believe it’s a good investment!

Austinite, iced coffee, and dogs!