Madison Caskey – Fitness Fanatic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

While many girls have a tough time juggling school, extracurriculars, and their job, Madison Caskey makes it look like a piece of cake. Too bad she doesn’t eat cake! You can find her at the gym not just working out but teaching girls like me how to workout. At just 19 and a freshman (sophomore by credit), Madison really has her life together. She makes getting a 4.0, staying active in her sorority, and being an instructor look easy. She’ll tell you it was anything but effortless though! She knows her hard work will pay off one day. Read on to learn more about our ambitious campus celeb!

Age: 19Hometown: Sugar Land, TXMajor: Pre-NursingInvolvement: Zeta Tau Alpha (corresponding secretary), Group Fitness Instructor, Member of National Society of Collegiate Scholars, NICU volunteer at University HospitalFavorite show: Grey’s Anatomy!Favorite movie: ProposalQuote to live by: “Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful” -Annette Funicello

Her Campus (HC): What inspired you to start working for the UTSA Recreation Center?

Madison Caskey (MC): Last semester, my first semester in college, I got really involved with group exercise and I just really loved how they inspired people to get fit. Obviously you don’t want to gain the freshman 15. I went through a 6 week program to be able to become a rec instructor and I found I really loved step and tone so that’s what I decided to teach.

HC: What do you love most about being an instructor? 

MC: I teach step and tone every Tuesday, which is step aerobics so it’s combinations on the step and toning exercise. I have a lot of girls that come, especially from my sorority, and some guys too. It’s really cool they come support me every week. I love teaching and having a class sweat with me. 

HC: Do you ever feel disadvantaged or judged being a female leader at a male dominated gym?

MC: I wouldn’t say so. I would say you’re looked at more just because you’re a female and you’re working out. In group fitness it’s mainly women who are in the front with the microphone on. I do feel disadvantaged if I’m out working weights or something, but in the studio it’s almost all women so probably not. 

HC: Do you feel like you have the opportunity to inspire girls at the gym?

MC: Yes, for sure! It’s such a cool thing, like I get to be a superstar every day at work. I’m in the front and I put on the microphone and I really get to encourage people. These are girls who come outside of their day to workout with me. It’s for fifty minutes and they’re all ears and they just want to work. So it’s cool to see their progress from start to finish for each semester. 

HC: What’s your favorite memory from the last semester?

MC: I’d say for fitness it was completing my first class. And academically it was receiving my 4.0 because that was a really big accomplishment and what I was wanting the whole semester.

HC: How do you think being in a sorority has helped you in your freshman year?

MC: You meet so many girls and for me joining a sorority was to meet friends. You meet the girls you’re going to be friends with your whole life and they’re always there to support you and encourage you. My focus is academics and they know that and it’s been a really good foundation having those people to support me and in the longrun it’s a really good opportunity.

HC: What is the number one thing you’ve learned being in a sorority?

MC: I’d say the number one thing I’ve probably learned from being in a sorority my freshman year is that no matter what I’m going to go through in life, I’m always gonna have people to support me and that are like me. College is hard and you’re going to face challenges but with the right support group and all my sisters behind me I know I can pretty much face anything.

HC: As someone who’s really academically motivated and not all about the parties associated with sororities, how do you feel about the negative perceptions of Greek Life? 

MC: I definitely feel that there are negative perceptions, especially with alcohol and drinking, and some people will judge you like, “oh, you’re in a sorority” but you sort of have to distinguish yourself to not be like that. Yes people will assume you go out and party every weekend but that’s not who I am. People don’t always accept that but I have to stand firm in who I know I am. That has been a challenge throughout my semester – I don’t always go to everything and I try to do as much as I can but I know I can’t do it all. I can’t have my 4.0 and be completely involved in Zeta. You have to find the balance and I think when you do find the balance that’s when you are going to be the happiest and the most successful in college. 

HC: Who’s your biggest role model in college?

MC: She laughs knowing I already know that answer. One look at her Insta and it’s obvious! Oh I definitely say my Big. For those of you not in Greek Life, a “Big” in sorority lingo is your big sister who takes you under her wing.My Big is Annie. She’s the vice president and she’s over all of PC which is the Programming Committee. She is doing pretty much the exact same thing as I am; we’re both heading to nursing school, hopefully next spring, so getting to learn from her and the classes she’s taken and following in her footsteps is a really cool opportunity that I’ve had since getting into Zeta. 

HC: Are you anxious about nursing school?

MC: Yes! I am super excited and I’m very sad to have to leave San Antonio and my job at the rec and Zeta. It’s so overwhelming but I’m super pumped to get to nursing school. I can’t even tell you how excited I am to do that. It’s gonna be a super hard challenge and the next two years in my life are going to be nursing, nursing, nursing but I just know it’s gonna pay off in the long run. Hopefully I meet girls who are just like my sisters now and they’ll be as supportive of me in this different part of my life. 

HC: What do you think of girls supporting each other? On social media and in life girls tear each other down a lot. 

MC: I definitely think if you’re a kind, genuine person you shouldn’t being tearing people down on social media anyway but it’s gonna happen. There will be girls who are jealous of others and you have to always remember what you are posting and thinking about how you’re portraying yourself. My boss sees my Instagram! Everything’s going to follow you throughout your professional and academic life. You always have to make sure you’re conscious of what you’re posting. 

HC: Are you nervous about the competitive environment of nursing school with other women? 

MC: Normally they’ll have over a thousand applicants and they only take one hundred. You really have to distinguish yourself and multiple programs do interviews but mine look only at GPA and my entrance exam so you really have to academically stand out over other girls. It’s competitive, I just have to rely on everything I’ve done and honestly just pray it’s my semester to get in. 

HC: What is your biggest goal for the next few years of college? 

MC: Obviously right now it would be getting into nursing school and once I’m in I really want to distinguish myself from the rest of my class, hopefully make really good grades and have a job coming out of nursing school. My dream job is to work for Texas Childrens in the NICU, which is the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, hopefully work there for a few years and then go back to school to become a nurse practitioner. 

HC: Does Grey’s Anatomy have any influence regarding your love for medicine?

MC: Of course it does! I’m a huge Grey’s fan and I’m actually starting it over for the third time – I’m on season 2 again. That show is just cool and of course it’s not all right but it’s awesome.She actually spoiled the most recent episode (tsk tsk Madison) so I decided not to include that. You’re welcome, readers! 

HC: I notice her stunning Kendra pendant and earrings and have to ask who’s your favorite fashion icon? 

MC: Kendra [Scott] and Lilly Pulitzer! My favorite athletic line is definitely Lululemon; I spend so much money in there. Literally I go in and they know my name! You can live in it, breathe in it, sleep in it. I’ll be wearing scrubs all my life so Lululemon is my favorite for now.She hesitates and adds: They’ll be Grey’s scrubs of course! 

HC: Is there anything else you want to add?

MC: I definitely want to thank UTSA. I was going to be a CAP student but then decided I didn’t want to do that. I’m really excited that I came to UTSA and for girls that don’t know where they want to come it’s a great place to start and a great learning environment and you’re gonna meet people here that you’ll be friends with for the rest of your life. 

I'm 20. My bio is about as full as my bowl of queso. Traveling the world and pretending I'm good at photography are my passions. Texas ∞