bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Let’s Talk About Chub Rub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Chub Rub, Heat Rash, Chafing, whatever name you use to describe it, it is a real thing.

Ladies (and men), you know exactly what I’m talking about. Thigh gap or no thigh gap, chub rub doesn’t discriminate. I feel like the topic of chub rub is an unspoken issue that so many people silently deal with.

There is nothing to be embarrassed about! So let’s talk about it!

I remember, even from a young age, chub rub was something that I had to learn how to deal with. Summertime was the worst! I loved wearing shorts, flowy dresses, and skirts, but I hated having to suffer the consequence if I want to walk around for long periods of time. (Especially after visiting Disney World, ugh)

Pause.

But wait Lauren, weren’t you a cheerleader?

Yes, I was one for YEARS!

How did I deal with chub rub while wearing a short skirt and cheering? Deodorant. I’m serious, It isn’t the best, but it worked alright for the time being. Apply some where your thighs touch, then enjoy your thighs gracefully moving against one another, and the significant decrease of chub rub while you are out there being active. The downfall? It doesn’t last long, therefore the deodorant needs to be reapplied every couple of hours if you are going to spend the entire day out and about.

A few years ago, I found something even better. As we were preparing for my senior graduation trip to Disney World, I was complaining to my mom about the impending doom of having to deal with chub rub, and the fact that just deodorant alone wasn’t going to cut it in the Florida heat and humidity. (I had dealt with chub rub the two previous times we had visited Disney World)

Mom to the rescue (as usual) she searched Pinterest to see if she could find a solution so she wouldn’t have to listen to me complain, and witness me waddle around Disney World trying to keep my thighs from rubbing together.

What my Mom found was BodyGlide For Her. It is like a deodorant, but it is made for bicyclists and other athletes who wear tight clothing to prevent chafing, irritation, and blisters. It is water AND sweat resistant. It is a LIFESAVER! The best part? It is less than $10! It has made the summertime much more tolerable! 

There are lots of other chub rub remedies in the world, If you have an interesting one that works, let me know, because  I love hearing opinions from other people! Chub rub is nothing to be ashamed of! Let’s “stick” together and tackle it one “stick” of deodorant at a time!

Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.