Keeping Up with Your High School Friends in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

College is a big adjustment, and not having your partners in crime by your side can make it even harder. I’ve had to adjust to walking around campus and seeing no familiar faces on most days. However, I think that keeping up with my high school friends has helped me keep my sanity. Here are some of the things I have done to keep in touch with my high school besties:

1. Reminders

Throughout the week I may see things or I’ll hear a song that will remind me of one of my friends. I love texting them when this happens because it starts an entire conversation!

2. Don’t Ghost

I am so guilty of this, but it’s one of the worst things you can do. Even if I forget to text them back for a week, I always make sure to apologize and eventually reach out again. Honestly, everyone does this, so chances are they’ll understand why you didn’t text back in the first place.

3. Don’t Be Too Sensitive

Ghosting brings me to my next point, which is don’t be butt hurt if your friends don’t text or snap you back. Understand that they are just as busy as you are. I think that even if they don’t respond, they will still appreciate the text.

4. Set a FaceTime Schedule

One of my very good friends and I FaceTime each first Friday of the month. Of course, we are flexible if something important comes up or one of us has to work. However, it’s a priority for us to talk even if it’s just for a little bit.

5. Go Visit Them

Visiting friends for a day out in their new city is so fun! They get to show you around and you get to hang out with them, plus it really shows that you care about them and that they are worth your time even with your new college life.

Dallasite located in San An / UTSA / Popsicle & Milkshake Enthusiast