Career > Work

Are You a First-Year Student in College and Want to Know if Work-Study is Worth it?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

This is my first year on campus (I previously attended an online university before transferring). When applying for FAFSA and going to accept my award, I noticed I was being offered Institutional Work-Study for the school year. This being the first time I was offered it, I had no idea what it was so I went and researched.

Here some the information that I gathered from the Federal Student Aid website:
1. It provides part-time employment while you are enrolled at a specific university.
2. It is available to all students with financial needs (undergraduate, graduate, and professional students).
3. Available for full and part-time students.
4. Jobs are available on and off-campus.
5. The award (pay) depends on when you apply, your financial need, and your school’s funding level.

To find out more you can go to this website: FSA-Work Study Jobs

I gladly accepted the aid since I am using my Post 9/11 GI Bill from the VA, the money that would normally be applied to my tuition from this program is paid directly to me because I do not have an outstanding tuition balance.

I currently work in the University College office at UTSA. At first, I was not sure about the position. However, I have gained valuable knowledge about UTSA, the various degree programs, academic advising, etc.

For me personally, this program has been worth it! You get priority for jobs on campus that help you expand your professional network, and you gain valuable knowledge. While you may not make as much as you would want, the program allows for students who do not have full funding for the school to pay down their tuition. It also allows students who may not need the tuition payments but do not have much time for a full-time professional job to earn some money while gaining valuable professional experience.

Check out UTSA’s University Career Center website to find out more about applying to work-study jobs: https://careercenter.utsa.edu/handshake-login/

I'm Megan, I'm a Sophomore at UTSA studying Biology and a USAF veteran. Some of my interests include Netflix, fitness, traveling with my husband and kids, and volunteering. When I'm not focused on school I'm spending time with my husband, 3 boys, and our dogs. Follow me on instagram @shutup_mmmeggg