Wellness

How To Get Some Extra Serotonin This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Looking for something to give you a little boost this season? Everyone needs a pick me up here and there, and no one says we can’t do it ourselves. Here is a list of activities my friends and I have been doing to bring us a little joy this season.

decorate for the holidays

While shopping at target, we realized that all of the holiday decorations had been put out for the year, and we were looking for something to do that evening. We bought a Christmas tree and some ornaments (for pretty cheap, love target) and spent the evening decorating our tree and baking some cookies. We got a 3-foot tree, and it is perfect for our tiny apartment.

make hot chocolate

Making a hot chocolate bar and watching fall/ holiday movies would be a great way to spend the afternoon with friends! Some ideas for toppingsinclude: peppermint, marshmallows, caramel, whipped cream, sea salt, cinnamon, etc. Drinking a warm drink on a chilly day is the best way to welcome the season.

go on a picnic

If you’re in Texas like me, the fall doesn’t always mean colder weather, unfortunately. There are still some things we can do to make the warmer weather work to our advantage, like going on a picnic. Bringing snacks and some games to a local park or on campus is a good way to unwind from the stress of the semester coming to an end. My roommate and I love to pack fruits and crackers, or chicken salad is also one of our favorites.

do a home workout

Personally, I like to use apps or youtube videos when I work out at home. Sometimes I will listen to music and do my own workout. I like to be able to personalize my workout to work for me, which is a little harder when working out with a class. My roommate, on the other hand, feels like she needs a class to be her best in her workout, which is okay. She will do youtube classes for Zumba or yoga, or even join a class at the campus recreation center if she’s feeling more motivated. My point is, find what works for you. I always dread working out (it’s really hard to convince myself to do it), but after my workout, I feel so much better.

adopt a plant

I have a cat, but I will be the first person to tell you that animals are a BIG commitment. Certain plants, on the other hand, can be a little easier to care for. With a little water and sunlight, plants can thrive. Having a couple of plants makes my day, seeing that I can take care of something else, and it brightens up my room a lot.

get crafty

Arts and crafts are some of the best ways to take up some time and boost your mood. My personal favorite is painting, but there are so many things you can do that are creative. One thing my sister does a lot is crocheting, she has been teaching herself and it really helps her to be able to create something. This same sister learned to make friendship bracelets and made everyone in my family one, most of us never take it off. Finding something personal that you can create really helps you see what you give the world, and why it’s worth it.

form a routine

Last but not least, form a routine for yourself. You don’t always have to be doing the same thing, and you can switch up your activity every week! I love to try new things, but I also really like to be organized. Planning out my week makes me feel much more relaxed and prepared! This is always something you can do just to help your week be a little more planned out.

Christmas Tree: https://www.target.com/p/3ft-pre-lit-alberta-spruce-artificial-christmas-tree-clear-lights-wondershop-8482/-/A-54458705#lnk=sametab

Planner: https://www.erincondren.com/dancing-daisies-academic-planner

Hi! I’m Rosaleigh, but I go by Rose. I’m a Junior at UTSA and I’m studying Communications! I'm a barista so don't be surprised if I write a lot about coffee :)