How Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are Making History

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

If you weren’t into football then, don’t worry, you still don’t have to be. Just mark your calendars for football’s biggest game of the year as icons Jennifer Lopez and Shakira will take the stage for Super Bowl LIV Halftime Show. Both singers made the public announcement late September by posting multiple pics on social media. 

This the first time that two Latina music stars will headline one of the biggest concerts and most viewed televised airing every year. This is also the first time that these two women will perform together and make their mark in NFL history. 

Columbian artist, Shakira is known as one of Latin American’s chart-topping music stars, with her iconic hits “Hips Don’t Lie” and “Whenever, Wherever.”

In a sit-down interview which aired after the public announcement, during that Thursday Night Football game, the three-time Grammy winner expressed,”This is a true American dream and we are going to bring the show of a lifetime!”

A quadruple threat, Jennifer Lopez is one of the world’s most loved entertainers in the industry. From recently starring in the movie “Hustlers” and just had ended her massive summer tour  “It’s My Party,” Lopez continues to prove she is not done yet. 

As exciting as it is being announced that these two global superstars will get the chance to show out on that stage, I found it more empowering. 

From being a major fan of the NFL, Pepsi’s decision to involve and give this opportunity, in my case to two Latina women has made me proud that women and my community are getting a chance to be represented worldwide. 

As much as I love watching the NFL, inclusivity has been a missing piece in the sports world, whether it is from the lack of female reporters or the lack of support in social justice. This announcement has already made history, as well as an open door to finally changing the game. 

It’s the marker of a new time, not just for the NFL, but for this country. It sends an important message,” said Lopez. 

This epic performance will finally introduce women onto the field and I couldn’t be more excited that two of my idols are representing me, all women, and all Latinos and Latinas. 

Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are set to hit the stage on February 2, 2020, airing on FOX News. And as a fan who has seen “Jenny from the Block” live in concert, the world has no idea what’s in store for them.

Be a good human, is what I say. I’m kinda weird, but kinda cool. I have dreams, and writing is my favorite one!
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.