How to get into San Antonio Museums for Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

San Antonio is home to some world class museums. The only thing better than that to a poor college students ears is hearing that you can get into them for FREE sometimes. So whether you’re looking to find a cheap date, or do something in your (non-existent) free time, check out this list to see when you can get into your favorite San Antonio museums for free!

The Witte Museum

3801 Broadway, San Antonio, TX 78209

#‎FreeKnowledge #‎FreeTuesday offers free general admission every Tuesday from 3:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Take advantage of enhanced activities and programming just for free Tuesday! The Witte Museum showcases science, health, natural history and the heritage of the early South Texas people. Free Admission to the Witte Museum includes entrance to all permanent exhibits, the South Texas Heritage Center, and the HEB Body Adventure, a permanent, three-story experience, which offers interactive exhibits that teach you how your body works and how you can stay fit and healthy. The Witte Museum is a Museums on Us participant and also offers one free general admission on the first weekend of every month to Bank of America and Merrill Lynch cardholders.

The DoSeum

2800 Broadway, San Antonio, TX 78209

The brand-new, state-of-the-art DoSeum hosts Free Family Night on the first and third Tuesday of every month. Only the first 1,500 guests will be admitted so arrive early. Parking is free but limited. The cafe will be open with food and drinks for sale. HEB supports Free Family Nights at The DoSeum.

The San Antonio Museum of Art 

200 West Jones Avenue, San Antonio, Texas 78215

Free admission to the San Antonio Museum of Art is offered twice a week on Tuesdays from 4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. The museum also offers Free Family Flicks, an outdoor (weather permitting) family movies – bring your lawn chairs and blankets and watch a movie under the starts at SAMA near the banks of the San Antonio River.

The McNay Art Museum 

6000 North New Braunfels, San Antonio, Texas 78209

Teens 19 and under (for you freshman and sophmores) always receive free admission (and free admission to special exhibitions) at The McNay. Adults receive free admission on the first Sunday of every month and every Thursday evening from 4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.

Institute of Texan Cultures 

801 E. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd., San Antonio, TX 78205

Focusing on the people who call Texas home and celebrating their beautiful and varied heritages, the UTSA Institute of Texan Cultures offers free admission for everyone on the second Sunday of each month, from 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m, and free admission to al UTSA students with I.D.

Barney Smith’s Toilet Seat Art Museum 

239 Abiso Ave, San Antonio, Texas 78209

Free admission every day, by appointment, is offered to this unique museum located in the heart of Alamo Heights. Please call Barney at (210) 824-7791 to request a day and time to visit.

The Alamo and the San Antonio Missions

The San Antonio Missions are now the first World Heritage Site in the state of Texas and the 23rd in the nation. And, everyone can visit them for free, every day!

Visit the Alamo from 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. every day of the year, except Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. (During the summer the Alamo stays open until 7:00 p.m.)300 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio, TX 78205. 

The San Antonio Missions are open from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. every day except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.

Mission Concepción: 807 Mission Rd, San Antonio, TX 78210Mission San José: 6701 San Jose Dr, San Antonio, TX 78124Mission San Juan: 9101 Graf Rd, San Antonio, TX 78214Mission Espada: 10040 Espada Rd, San Antonio, TX 78214

Holocaust Memorial Museum of San Antonio 

12500 NW Military Hwy, San Antonio, Texas 78231

There is no admission fee to visit the Holocaust Memorial Museum. It is open Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. and Sunday, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. While there is no admission fee, a suggested donation of $1 per student and $3 per adult is recommended. Holiday hours may apply. Enter through the main entrance of The Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Jewish Campus at 12500 N.W. Military Highway. The Holocaust Memorial Museum is located on the upper level.

Chloe is currently a senior trying to figure out how she's going to be capable of functioning as a real adult in less than a year. When she's not currently dealing with this quarter life crisis you can find her at happy hour, watching movies she knows will make her cry (& forcing her fiance to watch them with her, becaue #love, obsessing over her December wedding, and just generally trying to relive freshman year with her friends because she knows the best years of her life are about to end.