This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Happy National Pizza Day! Because yes — that’s actually a thing!

Have you ever wondered about the history of Pizza? Let’s take a trip to our “totally official” research website, Wikipedia, to learn a bit of backstory about the Italian dish.

According to the Pizza Wiki page: “Foods similar to pizza have been made since the neolithic age. Records of people adding other ingredients to bread to make it more flavorful can be found throughout ancient history. In the 6th century BC, the Persian soldiers of Achaemenid Empire during the rule King Darius I baked flatbreads with cheese and dates on top of their battle shields and the ancient Greeks supplemented their bread with oils, herbs, and cheese.”

So basically ancient people decided they were bored with plain bread and wanted to add more flavors. Totally relatable.

RANDOM STORY ALERT: During my 7th grade Sex Ed class, I was told that pepperoni resembles Syphilis. Yeah… I know. Ever since that day, I’ve had trouble eating pepperoni pizza. 

Since I’m working on maintaining a vegetarian diet, I don’t worry about it anymore because #NoMeatLife.

Enough with the mini history lessons and personal anecdotes, it’s time to celebrate the day in true social media fashion — LET THERE BE PIZZA GIFs!!

It’s so beautiful, right? What I love most about pizza is the versatility it has. You can get it in ways to accommodate different diets such as: vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, lactose-free, etc!

Consider this your cheat day, okay? Go out there and celebrate National Pizza Day! Pizza will never fail you, I promise.

And yes, Pineapple DOES belong on pizza — fight me.

Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.