Didn’t Celebrate Halloween But Still Want to Be in the Fall Spirit?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Halloween came and went, but that doesn’t mean the fall festivities are over! Your social media feed is dominated by pumpkin-everything and creepy crawly décor. While everyone around you is buzzing about they did for Halloween, you’re treating the spooky season like any other month – because you’ve never celebrated Halloween. No matter the personal reason why you may not have celebrated Halloween, you can still enjoy the festivities of the gorgeous autumn season! Here are some things you can do that don’t require costumes and faux cobwebs. 

1. visit a pumpkin patch

The biggest symbol of the fall season is an orange squash that tastes amazing in specialty coffees and baked in a pie on Thanksgiving. Because of the pumpkin’s overwhelming popularity, you can see them on display at pumpkin patches in the community. There are several popping up around the city with free admission, and you can always bring friends along to pick out the perfect pumpkin. Whether you go with the intention to use the pumpkin(s) you pick for a recipe, to paint, or just to leave it in its bright orange glory, you’re bound to have a good time (not to mention the incredible photo-ops that pumpkin patches provide)! Some pumpkin patches even have photo booths and props for a true Kodak moment. Search pumpkin patches near you for a fun weekend trip!

2. make a fall-themed dessert

Everyone has been dressing up in costumes, while you can be dressing up in a cute apron to throw down in the kitchen! Pinterest is brimming with mouthwatering dessert recipes that are fall-inspired. Even if you could never get into the pumpkin spice trend, pumpkin-shaped cookies can just be flavored with vanilla extract. I’ve compiled a list of fall desserts that you can serve to your friends (or just for yourself, no judgment here)! For my fellow peers with only a microwave in their dorm/apartment. For my vegan + gluten-free friends, I’ve got you covered too! 

Oven-Friendly Recipes:

Microwave-Friendly Recipes:

Vegan Desserts (some are gluten-free, too!):

Gluten-Free Desserts (some are vegan, too!):

3. take a trip to the farmer’s market

Going to the farmer’s market is an underrated experience that often gets overshadowed by its competitor, the pumpkin patch. Farmer’s markets are also guaranteed to sell pumpkins, as well as other fall harvest crops. It’s a fun (and fresh) way to go grocery shopping for produce! While you can still make the late-night grocery trip with your roommates, consider supporting your local farmer’s market over the weekend!

4. potluck with friends

A prelude to Friendsgiving, having a fall-themed potluck with your roommates and friends is an awesome (and delicious) idea! You can always use one of the recipes listed above to show your friends how incredible you are at baking, or you can just pick up some premade goodies from the store. A potluck also gives you an excuse to decorate your place with cute fall décor! 

5. line dancing at a country dance hall

Maybe it’s just me, but something about the country aesthetic fits snugly with the theme of fall. Accessorize with the biggest cowboy hat you can find and slip on your cowboy boots before you dance the night away at a country dance hall! Even if you don’t have one in your area, you can host a line-dancing party at your place. It’s bound to be a good time!

Even though this list contains five ideas, this season opens up several more opportunities to have fun, sans the Halloween festivities. No matter what you decide to do, remember to stay safe and have fun!

Jada Jones is a senior majoring in Multidisciplinary Studies with focus areas in psychology, communication, and sociology at The University of Texas at San Antonio. Her hobbies include anything beauty-related (from skincare to makeup and hair), fashion/shopping, and spending time with her girl friends! Jada has been writing since the age of 9; writing creatively has been a constant in her life for several years. Jada's favorite topics to write about center around her hobbies, as well as relationships, loving others in a hateful world, self-awareness, and self-care. If you're into personality types, Jada is an ENFP!