This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

If you’re anything like me, 2013 felt like a living hell. 

While I can admit that I did sing along pretty frequently, “Let It Go” had to be one of the most annoying songs of the century— and that says a lot. From singing dolls to singing toothbrushes, no one could escape the mass hysteria that the first Frozen movie had brought with it (I can’t even imagine how parents at the time must have felt… yikes). 

When I heard of the second film being released almost six years later, at the end of 2019, I could not believe my ears. My eyes rolled so far back into my head that I gave myself a headache. As you could probably tell, my enthusiasm for the sequel wasn’t exactly the best. 

However, after seeing it opening night, I have to say that Disney did an amazing job with everything in this movie. You could tell that there was true time and effort put into this story, it wasn’t just some last-resort, money-making movie they compiled together.

Frozen I was a good movie in itself. Despite my annoyance with the soundtrack, the tale of two sisters coming together, the opening of the gates, and the overall message of freedom and finding yourself are all amazing elements of hope and love that I feel children now desperately need. Frozen II, the sequel to the reign of Queen Elsa, elaborates so much more on the messages of trust, faith, and sacrifice that it’s truly amazing. Not only that, but there is a constant reminder that, no matter how much things change, those you love most will stick by your side— whether they’re blood or not. 

In terms of elements besides the storyline, the characters themselves show so much growth that it is absolutely brilliant for older crowds. Elsa and Anna show maturity of no other Disney princess I’ve ever seen. They realize the importance of doing the right thing, an important message that not only children need, but adults as well. In addition, I have never, ever related to any character—other than Toy Story 4’s Forky— than I have to Olaf in this film. He is the solid foundation of it all. I saw him as the most college student-esque character of the entire movie and I absolutely loved it—you’ll have to watch to understand what I mean.

In terms of musicality, this soundtrack was much less annoying. The music was actually really great, giving the film a more genuine musical-type feel (think of Aladdin, where it all flowed together nicely). Each character had their own solo-song, making them feel much more personal and adding to their development. Kristoff even had his own “Bohemian Rhapsody” moment… It was pretty amazing, if I do say so myself. They’re not the annoying type of songs that will get stuck in your head after one listen, they have lyrics that tie in so perfectly with the movie that you won’t even remember the rhythm, just the meaning behind them.

Overall, the movie was genuinely amazing. I wish there were princesses like Elsa and Anna when I was growing up, but I’m glad the children of today get to experience their magic.

Even if you don’t have a child to take with you, don’t be ashamed to see it in theatres! My roommate and I went together and no one batted an eye. This movie is truly one for all ages.

HC Campus Correspondent I'm am majoring in English with a minor in Business Administration. I love reading and writing, the smell of books, rain, and coffee, collecting pins, and going to concerts!