matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Explore your City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

If you’re like me, you probably didn’t get to travel much until you left high school. In my case, the only area of San Antonio that I was familiar with was the city’s North Side, which even then I didn’t explore too much of. As a result, I began to accept the opinion that there wasn’t ANYTHING to do in San Antonio.

How naive. 

Now that I am older and hopefully wiser, I can state the facts: There is plenty to do in San Antonio, as long as you’re looking.

There are several interesting places in the city that I insist you to explore. If the last time you’ve been to downtown was years ago, I encourage you to visit as soon as possible. It looks completely different from how it did even five years ago. Another place that is interesting is The Historic Pearl. The Pearl is a place that is beautiful, with many shops and restaurants near the San Antonio River. If you’re in the mood for shopping, you should also check out the Quarry or the Rim, which have a plethora of shopping stores that are bound to excite.

Instagram: @AmberStillwagon

Did you know that plenty of festivals also take place near, or even in, Hemisfair? Just recently, I visited the Luminaria Contemporary Arts Festival that takes place yearly at Hemisfair. While there, I was exposed to concerts, art pieces, performances, a sound bath, and so much more. The annual Diwali festival takes place there as well, which is actually the only major festival for Indian culture in San Antonio. Make sure to check out the upcoming events on the Hemisfair webpage for future event and festival information: https://hemisfair.org/events/

Instagram: @AmberStillwagon

San Antonio is also home to great food. If you’re in the mood for Mexican food, some of my favorite places include Taquitos West Ave., La Fonda, Al Carbon Pollos Asados, and more. But there is more than just Mexican food in San Antonio. A favorite Jamaican food stop for me is the Jerk Shack, where you can find excellent jerk chicken. For fancier dining, I really enjoy Texas de Brazil, which has excellent picanha and filet mignon. If you’re in San Antonio, you’re bound to never go hungry!

Instagram: @AmberStillwagon

This is just a sample of the great places you can visit in San Antonio. Instead of checking out the same area every day, why not get together with your friends and explore your city? You won’t regret it, I promise you.

Junior studying Communication with a Civic Engagement minor at the University of Texas at San Antonio.