Do you have what it takes to be a UTSA Cheerleader?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

So, you think you have what it takes to join the NCA Championship winning UTSA Cheer Team? There’s two ways to try out:

1. In Person

Saturday, April 30th, 2016

Check-in opens: 12:00pmTryouts begin: 1:00pm
Cost: $25

You can register here, and of course, here’s what to wear: 

• Female Bases: Form-fitting top (sports bras, tank tops, Under Armour, etc.) in any color EXCEPT NAVY which is reserved for UTSA veterans. Bottoms can be any color, should be cheer shorts and/or spankies and all females MUST wear cheer shoes.
  • Female Flyers: Sports bra or other crop top in any color EXCEPT NAVY which is reserved for UTSA veterans. Bottoms can be any color, should be cheer shorts and/or spankies and all females MUST wear cheer shoes.
  • Males: T-Shirt in any color EXCEPT NAVY which is reserved for UTSA veterans. Athletic shorts can be any color; cheer shoes are preferred but not required

2. Video

If you cant make it in person, here’s what you need to know: 

2015 VIDEO TRYOUTS Deadline April 23rd, 2016

1. Jumps & Tumbling (ALL skills from this section must be performed on a hard mat) 

• a. Jumps: toe touch, pike, and hurdler (no tumbling thrown after)
  • b. Tuck Test: 4 standing tucks in a row, 1 thrown every 6 counts; first tuck is on 1, next is 7, next is the following 5, then the following 3.
  • c. Standing 2 BHS to tuck, layout, or full
  • d. Running round-off BHS tuck, layout or full
  • e. Up to two additional specialty passes

2. Stunts

• a. You can try out for Coed, All-Girl, or both.
  • b. You can include as many stunts as you would like.
  • c. Flyers must include a right stretch, a left stretch, and scorpion. If your bases are not capable of supporting these positions you must show them standing on the ground.
  • d. All-Girl preferred stunt: Please include at least 1 single-based or double-based stunt, if capable. If not capable, please include at least a traditional All-Girl fullup to 1 body position and double down.
  • e. Coed preferred stunt: toss to the top, 2 different body positions, double down

3. Motions

• a. Any cheer or dance that you already know. Please keep it under 30 seconds.

4. Interview

• a. Include video of yourself answering the following questions:

i. What is your cheerleading background (include high school, all-star, and/or gymnastics team names and accomplishments)

ii. Why do you want to cheer at UTSA over other schools?

iii. What goals do you have for the rest of your cheerleading career?

Please email your video to jamille.henderson@utsa.edu by April 23rd, 2016. If the file is over 10MB, please send it via www.transferbigfiles.com or upload it to www.Youtube.com and send us the link. Once your video has been submitted you must register for tryouts online here and pay the $25 tryout fee.

Good luck to everyone trying out, and remember “its not a democracy, its a cheerocracy!”

Chloe is currently a senior trying to figure out how she's going to be capable of functioning as a real adult in less than a year. When she's not currently dealing with this quarter life crisis you can find her at happy hour, watching movies she knows will make her cry (& forcing her fiance to watch them with her, becaue #love, obsessing over her December wedding, and just generally trying to relive freshman year with her friends because she knows the best years of her life are about to end.