This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Everyone has struggled with writer’s block at least once in their life. You sit down to write, and all of a sudden, you blank. No words or thoughts come to life. It’s just a blank screen staring back at you. 

I’ve had writer’s block for months. I brainstorm ideas, write them down, and return to them later. My problem is that my ideas don’t seem interesting anymore when I circle back to them. I don’t know if that’s the Sagittarius in me that starts projects and never finishes them…but that’s another story. Anyways, since I’ve been in this funky writing mood, I feel like I’m somewhat qualified to give you advice on how to cure writer’s block.

Tip #1- Switch up your environment.

We’ve all been somewhat stuck inside for nearly a year now (don’t remind me, or I’ll start crying). So, it’s kind of hard to change your writing environment entirely, but the smallest change may help. If you usually write in your room, try writing in your living room, backyard (or balcony if you live in an apartment like me), kitchen, or even your bathroom (don’t knock it ‘till you try it). The point is that a new location or environment could inspire you to write something.

Tip #2- Don’t be so hard on yourself.

I need to take my own advice because I often doubt my ideas. Stop worrying if a topic is good enough and just WRITE it.

Tip #3- Write literally anything.

Write whatever comes to mind. Seriously anything. You could write about a movie you just watched, your grocery store visit, or even how you’ve been struggling with writer’s block for months. As I said in the second tip, don’t worry, just write.

I know firsthand that it’s easier said than done, but I believe in you!

Austinite, iced coffee, and dogs!