Breaking the Stereotypes of the Paranormal World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

When people think of ghost hunting, they probably think of the 80’s hit movie, Ghostbusters. Something else that might be familiar to most people are the popular ghost hunting television shows like Ghost Hunters or Ghost Adventures. Those who like to investigate the paranormal often get classified under the stereotype of “Ghostbusters”. This stereotype makes them out to be dressed in ridiculous outfits, prepared to literally “capture” ghosts.

However, you can’t always believe everything you see on TV. Investigating the paranormal is serious business. It isn’t the cliché ectoplasm cascading down the walls while you are walking down a dark hallway armed with only a flashlight.

When paranormal groups receive calls asking for guidance from concerned homeowners or just people having issues in general, professionalism is important. Paranormal investigators travel to these locations and use their wide range of equipment to see what phenomena is occurring. Some examples of the equipment they use are thermal imaging cameras, Electromagnetic Field Meters (EMF), and voice recorders. 

If you are interested in the paranormal, I would suggest taking a ghost tour, especially here in San Antonio. The history of downtown San Antonio is so rich and interesting –  you can learn a lot!

As someone who has been a part of a paranormal research team, I wouldn’t suggest randomly deciding to go ghost hunting without any help. No matter if you believe in ghosts or not, dealing with any type of energy is a little dangerous.

Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.