“Book of the Month” – A subscription box worth buying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’re weirdly obsessed with having to purchase a physical copy of every single book you read. This may seem normal to most people, but not if you started your reading obsession when you were in middle school, reading fan-fiction on Wattpad. I’ve always been the type of person that thought buying books was the worst way to read books, just because it wasn’t free like on Wattpad or finding it as a PDF online. I just thought people who shopped at Barnes & Noble weren’t finessing the system like I was. 

Where I’m from, we don’t have a Barnes & Noble, so I’ve never been tempted. But when I moved to college, it’s like every student I came across had an obsession with this place. So I had to try it out myself. The first thing I noticed was overpriced.99, I simply could not believe people actually bought these books for $30. 

Though I fell victim, I walked out of that place with a receipt of $130, five new novels, and a beautiful gold Barnes & Noble membership card. I swear, all the cashier told me was “10% off every-“ and I was like “deal”. No questions asked. She didn’t even have to convince me, but whatever, we will pretend like I didn’t just lose my dignity. Ever since then, it’s been an obsession to purchase books in person. I can’t read on electronics anymore, I always come up with this lame excuse that I need a physical copy so my children’s, children can read this “jaw-dropping” romance novel in 2087. You know the library in Beauty and The Beast? My exact goal. 

So the point of this is that I don’t have a solution for saving money on new books, but if you do, I would really like to know. One thing I do have is a subscription box for you. It’s not going to replace your monthly trips to Barnes & Noble, obviously, but it will definitely be a great subscription to add to your monthly, new book collection. 

I wish this was a sponsored blog post but it is not, I am simply promoting this so my girls can save some moolah. I am not given a script to recite this for you, so I will try my best to walk you through it the way I figured it out. Book of the Month is a monthly subscription box for avid book readers, like me. The monthly cost for BOTM is $14.99. When you sign up, you are offered to choose from 5 featured, “wow-worthy” reads. You can also choose to add more books for ONLY $9.99 each. If I am correct, I believe you can choose to add only two more books, which can be featured books from the past. They have a lot to choose from, and I swear that the best-selling novel you picked up at Barnes & Noble but put down because it was too expensive, is on there. 

If interested, they also offer a yearly membership that is $149.99, saving you $30 rather than paying monthly. You can skip a month any time by simply not choosing a featured book on the 1st of every month. This month I chose “The Last Story of Mina Lee” by Nancy Joyous Kim as my featured book, and I chose “Normal People” by Sally Rooney and “Untamed” by Glennon Doyle as my add-ons. I only paid $21.63, which is a deal, considering each novel is almost (or more) $20 each. 

Lastly, if you do decide to subscribe, I’d appreciate it if you’d use my referral link, so I could receive credits to feed my unhealthy book obsession. :) Thank you so much. 

Referral link:

https://www.mybotm.com/jwwqsb4cti?show_box=true

All the love,

Alexandra ♡

I love fashion, makeup, reading, writing and singing! I'm also very in love with Harry Styles :')