free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Get the Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

In college, more than likely you’ve encountered the words “I would like to meet for an interview” more than once. All of a sudden, you don’t want the job, you don’t have anything to wear, and you can’t seem to remember why you even applied. All because the idea of having to impress someone and answer some questions is too much. Yet, you’re going to be doing interviews your entire life. For part time jobs, internships, programs, and believe it or not, an interview will probably land you your dream job one day. This is just the beginning, so it’s time you stop shaking, stand up straight, and walk in there and get your job.

1. Posture is everything

My mom would always push me from the back if she ever saw me slouching and say, “You better sit up straight or no one will ever take you seriously.” She wasn’t wrong. Body language is everything. From your handshake, to the way you sit in your chair gives the interviewers insight about you. If you’re shy, slouching, and looking at the floor, they’re not going to believe that you have “excellent communication skills” because you can barely talk to them. Make sure you sit comfortably, but up straight. Look attentive. Walk in with a walk that says, “I look great, I’m prepared, and this opportunity is going to be mine.” Smile when you greet everyone, and remember to shake everyone’s hand!

2. Dress to express

You’ve heard “Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.” I can understand why that would be true, but dress in a way that shows who you are. Of course, always look professional. Make sure everything is of the appropriate length, but don’t be afraid to be creative. You can do a solid skirt and blazer with a tucked in patterned shirt. Not all suits have to be black. You can do a light grey suit with rose gold colored shoes and a belt. Show your colors and individuality. Wear your favorite hair clip, or your favorite necklace. Make a statement that shows them you’re not afraid to be yourself. Dress to express, not just to impress.

3. Never walk in empty handed

Don’t ever forget to bring your resume, business cards if you have any, note taking paper, and a pen. You never know when you’re going to need any of them. You might be asked to leave a copy of your resume, you might ask some questions and need to write the answers down, or someone else might need a pen (you look super prepared when you’re the one to provide the pen). If having some water makes you more comfortable, bring a water bottle. DON’T walk in with your phone in your hand. Put it on silent or “Do Not Disturb,” and put it in your bag. Don’t forget the confidence!

4. Do your research

The worst thing that could happen is that they ask you questions about their values or company and you’re clueless. Make sure you know about the company before stepping foot in there. Look up how they came to be, their values, their mission, their locations, maybe the names of the directors. Even if they don’t ask you a question, if you happen to throw in the “I know the company volunteers some time at the . . .” It’s impressive, and will def score you some points.

5. Be yourself

Most importantly, be you. You’d be surprised how many people get the job based off their personality. Sometimes, it’s more about how the candidate is going to work with and get along with the team than their credentials. A lot of things can be taught on the job, but personality isn’t one of them. Besides, you wouldn’t want to keep up an act throughout your time there. That’s also why you don’t lie on your resume. If you’re not proficient on Excel, don’t say you are. You don’t want to end up having to google half of your assignment.

Super simple things that we sometimes tend to forget: You’ve already been offered an interview. That means something caught their eye. You’re one step ahead. Breathe and smile. You’re simply having a conversation with someone you might work with in the future. This interview isn’t going to define the rest of your career (and if it is, even more of a reason to give it your all). Also, mentality is everything. If you walk in thinking “I’m not gonna get this, they’re going to hate me, I’m so not ready” that’s exactly what’s going to happen. Walk in, straight up, chin up, “I got this. I am a highly eligible candidate and they’d be lucky to have me.” Besides, if you don’t end up there, it just means you’ve got something much better headed your way.

Esmeralda is a senior Marketing and Tourism major at the University of Texas at San Antonio. Her major interests include anything to do with food, organization and the outdoors. She usually buys more books than she can read, drinks too much coffee for her own good, and is a grilled cheese enthusiast. You can find her giving UTSA campus tours or actively getting her life together one calendar update at a time.
Dallasite located in San An / UTSA / Popsicle & Milkshake Enthusiast