nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

3 Major Realizations Coming to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Most students might feel a dread in realizing they are only halfway done with their college career, I feel a sign of relief. As a glass half full kind of gal, I see that I am almost done with one of my short term goals and will soon check that off my To-Do list. College can be crazy, stressful, and exciting all at the same time with ups and downs but once you’ve hit a couple years into your college career you’ll realize a few key things:

You can’t bull crap your way through classes:

Unlike high school, there is a slim chance you will pass your classes just by studying 1 hour before your exams. It takes hours and sometimes even days of preparation to get projects finished, papers written, homework done, and studying for exams. The dedication and time you put into your school work 100% reflects in your grades. I have learned this the hard way when I failed the first time I took Biology as a Biology major… You might want to procrastinate but in the end, it’ll be worth the long night filled with endless cups of coffee.

Your friends will come and go and that’s totally fine:

One of the things I dread most about each new semester is meeting new people in your classes,but realizing at the end of the semester that you won’t have any more classes together. Whether this be because the two of you have different majors or are just at different levels in your degree plan, you’ll meet even more cool new friends the next semester. Although it might be a bummer you could still be friends and continue keeping in contact with one another. If not, oh well! Plenty of other people to become friends with.

Alone time is the best time:

Yes, it’s fun to go out, spend time with friends, and going to school events, don’t get me wrong, I love doing all of those things but alone time is the time to get some nice, quiet peace to yourself. After a long week of classes and stressing about exams and assignments, it’s always a good idea to give yourself some relaxation time. Read a book, give yourself a pampering session, or even just spend the night watching all your favorite Netflix movies; whatever you choose it doesn’t necessarily have to be expensive! Take care of yourself physically, mentally, and spiritually first and foremost.

Everyone will learn a few things here and there while in college, so make the most of every situation and keep on going!

Howdy! I'm Cassie and currently a senior studying Environmental Science getting little sleep throughout the semester. I love spending time with my dog, taking naps when I have time, and hiking the beautiful outdoors:)
Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.