This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

In honor of International Women’s Day 2018, Let’s talk about the many women that have been speaking up about their experiences regarding rape or sexual encounters.

Their voices were being heard all over the world and continue to echo on. There have been several accusations against men with power such as: Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, Russell Simmons, and even our current president, Donald Trump.

One of the biggest protest against this issue was women wearing black to the 2018 Golden Globe awards to support the Time’s Up and the Me Too initiative which is about supporting women who have experienced sexual harassment in the workplace and deserve equality in pay.

Many of the actresses wearing black included: Meryl Streep, Reese Witherspoon, Eva Longoria, and many more.

Oprah Winfrey also had a wonderful speech at the awards show and spoke on the issue. She stated, “So I want all the girls watching here and now to know that a new day is on the horizon! And when that new day finally dawns, it will be because of a lot of magnificent women…”

Women such as ourselves, no matter what we encounter in our lives or in the workforce, we have power and voices to share our stories. We can learn from one another to stand up for ourselves. 2018 is a year of change, and now more than ever women are speaking up for what they believe in.    

Lauren is currently a senior at UTSA who is obsessed with anything involving music and pop culture. She is one of the Campus Correspondents for HC UTSA, and is in charge of social media and editing. You can catch her traveling across the country for concerts, eating Whataburger fries, or constantly scrolling through her social media feeds.