This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

After a hotly contested presidential election, more millennials find themselves invested in the world of politics.  Ismael Melendez is a computer science major at University at Texas Rio Grande Valley who founded the Young Progressive Democrats in 2015, to maintain a Democratic presence and voice on campus. Melendez participated in other progressive organizations on campus such as the Texas Freedom Network, Planned Parenthood and the Environmental Awareness Club, and it motivated him to ally with Democrats to create a more equitable state and provide work opportunities for all. 

“I am a cic gay Chicano first generation immigrant college student. That’s a mouthful but each of those ‘labels’ tells a part of my story.” Melendez said. “And I do think labels are important because they help find common things between different people and they’re ways to explore and explain experiences to others not in those groups.” 

Melendez was born in Mexico and moved to the United States at age 4. Members of the club seem to share a similar sentiment on giving self-imposed labels to themselves, and finding a common ground with their constituents.

The Young Progressive Democrats were established fall 2015 at UTRGV who give a voice to those who resonate with the liberal ideology. As opposed to traditional Democrats, the YPD strongly favor social programs such as SNAP and maintaining a clean and sustainable environment for low-income housing. They seek to bring up the impoverished with the hopes of experiencing the American dream. They’ll be most active fall 2018 by supporting Texas gubernatorial candidate Lupe Valdez and senate candidate Beto O’Rourke.

“I am an embodiment of the American Dream, with more to grow and give back,” Melendez said. “I stand with Democrats because their policies have helped me and others.”

Billy Lugo, a history major and 3-year active member, pushes for social activism such as the $15 minimum wage, health care rights, and allying with the LGBT community on campus. On the Jan. 23 YPD meeting, Lugo addressed the current state of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), while also providing information on the city of McAllen concerning health and the economy. DACA is an immigration program introduced in 2012 under the Obama Administration that protects minors who came into America as children illegally from being deported. Lugo serves as a temporary officer when Melendez is unavailable to conduct meetings.

“I want to see McAllen turn to Seattle, ” Lugo said, meaning that he’d like to see McAllen transition to a more metropolitan area that offers employees a $15 minimum wage, and doesn’t tolerate discrimination. Seattle has steadily raised the minimum wage since 2015. Although business owners there cannot afford paying their employees that amount, which resulting in reduced hours and layoffs. 

The Young Progressive Democrats say they take a more genuine approach to recruiting members. Lugo expressed that the group doesn’t see much activity or involvement from the student body during dead political seasons, although during midterm and  presidential elections there are plenty of opportunities to participate in the organizations events. YPD hosts viewings of congressional debate forums, LGBT awareness pride walks and general community building.

Thomas Reyna, a kinesiology major, is interested in joining the organization.

“I’m dark blue, and my values are Democratic,” he said. 

Reyna attended the meeting on Jan. 23 because the past presidential election pulled him into politics and provoking him to bring changes in the community.

The organization is seeking new recruits who share a devotion for addressing LGBT issues, DACA and advocating for $15 wages and cleaner environments. By connecting to students and separating themselves from traditional democrats, the Young Progressive Democrats provide a voice for those who feel affected by the current administration and the uncertainty of DACA, LGBT issues and wages. Students from all perspectives are welcome to sit in during meetings held in ELABN 111 at 12:15 p.m. every Tuesday and Wednesday. 

UTRGV mass media student.
UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor