This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

Two weeks ago the 2018 Winter Olympics began in Pyeong Chang. After an incredible two weeks the games officially came to a close Sunday February 25, but not before Team USA could make history. For those of you who didn’t get to watch the games or who want a recap of what happened, I’ve compiled a summary of Team USA’s best moments at the 2018 Winter Olympics. 

Mirai Nagasu jumped into history as the first American woman to land a triple axel at the olympics. Unfortunately Nagasu did not earn herself a medal at these games, but she earned history. Only two other women have ever successfully landed a triple axel at the olympics both of which are from Japan. Only two other U.S. women have ever successfully landed the jump in competition one of them being Tonya Harding. 

Red Gerard won the first 2018 Winter Olympics gold medal for Team USA in slopestyle snowboarding. After two runs the seventeen year old had already fallen, and wasn’t expected to win a medal at all much less the gold medal. After his third run, however Gerard had successfully landed and won Team USA its first gold medal for the 2018 Winter Olympics. 

Nathan Chen became the first figure skater to land six quad jumps during competition. In 2017 Chen became the first figure skater to land five quad jumps in competition, and only a year later he broke his own record. After day one of men’s figure skating, Chen was in seventeenth place but the following day in the second part of the competition Chen made history. 

Seventeen year old Chloe Kim won gold in women’s snowboarding halfpipe. Kim had a great first run that would have won her the medal, but she didn’t want to stop at one run, so she went again but fell during her second run. In her third run she earned an almost perfect score, and won herself a gold medal. She is now being regarded as one of the best snowboarders in U.S. history. 

Lindsey Vonn won a bronze medal in downhill skiing. In 2010 Vonn won the gold in this event, but in 2014 she was unable to compete in the games due various injuries. Vonn made her comeback at these games, unfortunately Vonn was not able to secure a gold medal but she earned a well deserved bronze medal in her last Winter Olympic Games. 

The U.S figure skating team won a bronze medal. Bradie Tennell, Mirai Nagasu, Nathan Chen, Adam Rippon, Alexa Scimeca-Knierim, Chris Knierim, Alex Shibutani and Maia Shibutani made up the U.S. figure skating team. Nagasu had a historic skate, during the team event. Adam Rippon also had an incredible skate. Ultimately the medal was in the hands of Maia and Alex Shibutani the last to skate. They had a great skate as well and secured the bronze medal for Team USA. 

Mikaela Shiffrin won a gold and a silver medal. Shiffrin already had a gold medal from the Sochi Olympics in 2014, but she didn’t stop at just one medal she won two more medals at this year’s games. Shiffrin first won a gold medal in the giant slalom competition. In her second event the super combines Shiffrin earned a second medal this time a silver. 

Shaun White won another gold medal making him the first snowboarder in history to win three Olympic gold medals. White is already an Olympic legend, but he wanted to prove his greatness by winning yet another medal. He was the last to compete and needed higher than a 92 to secure the gold if not he would have to settle for a silver medal. White wanted nothing less than gold, and earned 97 securing the gold medal. This made him the first snowboarder in history to win three Olympic gold medals. 

The “Shib Sibs” became the first skaters of Asian descent to win a medal in ice dancing. After the short dance Maia and Alex Shibutani better known as the “Shib Sibs” were in fourth place, behind fellow U.S. skaters Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue. After the free skate, however they were able to score higher than Hubbell and Donohue and secure another bronze medal. This resulted in them being the first skaters of Asian descent to win a medal in ice dancing. 

The U.S. women’s hockey team won their first gold medal since 1998. It had been twenty years since the U.S. women’s hockey team won a gold medal, and they were in the gold medal final playing against the Canadian hockey team. The game was close, and the teams were tied even after overtime. Penalty shots would decide who would ultimately win the gold. Maddie Rooney made the winning goal for team USA, and they won the first gold medal in hockey since 1998. 

Team USA men’s curling team won USA it’s first gold medal in curling. John Shuster, Tyler George, Matt Hamilton and John Landsteiner made up the men’s curling team. They competed against and defeated the number one curling team in the world team Sweden. They won 10-7 earning the gold medal. This was the first gold medal team USA has ever won in curling, making the win historic. 

Jessica Higgins and Kikkan Randall won gold in cross-country skiing and the first cross country skiing medal for Team USA in 42 years. Team USA had not won a medal in cross country skiing for 42 years, but that didn’t stop Higgins and Randall from competing, and giving it their best. The two did an incredible job in the team sprint, which landed them a gold medal. Not only did they earn the first cross country skiing medal for team USA in 42 years, but they also became the first U.S. women to earn a cross-country medal. 

Team USA came in 4th in the medal standings earning 23 medals in the 23rd Winter Olympics. Team USA earned the fourth most medals for these Olympics behind Norway, Germany and Canada. Team USA won nine gold medals, eight silver medals and six bronze medals. Coincidentally the U.S. took home twenty-three medals in the twenty third Winter Olympics. 

These are just a few of the many highlights of the 2018 Winter Olympic Games in Pyeong Chang. Team USA made history during these two weeks, and earned many medals. In addition to the actual games, the opening and closing ceremonies were very entertaining and definitely another highlight of the games. The ceremonies incorporated South Korean culture and their advanced technology. The next Olympic games will be the Summer Olympics in 2020 in Tokyo. The next Winter Olympic games will take place in Beijing in 2022. 

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.