pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

To My Future Employer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

The graduating semester for seniors in college means purchasing graduation attire, an increased anticipation of facing the real world, and “senioritis” in full force. Along with all of the fun aspects of graduation comes the stress of the dreaded waiting game; what job offers will you get, what grad schools will accept you or even where the next year will take you – and this can definitely take a toll on a person.

At some point throughout the collegiate years, students have to realize that a degree does not come with a job, walking across the stage does not guarantee a career, and that your resume alone, will speak for you. So, we stress for the GPA, spend extra hours volunteering and being active in clubs and work our butts off to make the connections.

EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE, ACTIVITIES

We have dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s, and continue to pray that it has been enough. But through college, you also realize that you are so much more than what this piece of paper can show.

So to my future employer, what my resume will not tell you is that…

“I live with my parents but I do not see them on a daily basis because there are just not enough hours in the day to work for a PR firm, keep up a 3.7 GPA, be a president of an organization, and have a social life. My responsibilities mean the world to me.” -K.L.

“My lack of experience does not mean I can’t handle the job. I’m extremely passionate and know I can manage in the publishing business despite my lack of experience.” -L.G.

“I’ll probably sweat during my interview but it’s not because I’m nervous, I’m just a sweaty bitch. I applied for the job because I know I can do it!” -P.M.

“Sophomore year I transferred out of my dream college because a change in my family structure caused financial instability. It was not because I couldn’t handle it, and despite that, I made the best of it.” -D.L.

“I rescue abandoned animals and I really work my ass off for those 20 cats.” -G.F.

“I’m goal-oriented to a fault. I was raised believing that if I achieve a goal I set for myself, my reward is to set higher goals. I was raised not to celebrate mediocrity, so only when my highest goals are achieved I will stop setting goals for myself.” -T.O.

“Although I am a late comer to my field, I have more than enough room to grow and more than enough determination to thrive in a competitive atmosphere.” -S.M.

“I never give up. I won’t quit until I learn something new or figure out the problem.” -T.G.

“My junior year I was told to settle for an internship I did not want by a man because I was a girl, and it was too hard to get a federal internship. A year later, I was the first student from my university to intern for the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives.” -A.L.

Future employer, yes, we are just graduating college, but we are NOT just college graduates. We are so much more. We are not asking you to take a chance on us, because we are ready. What we ask is that you read between the lines and understand that with those rejections, you may be the ones missing out.

Denisse is a senior at the University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley. She is pursuing a major in Mass Comm with emphasis in Public Relations and a minor in Mexican American Studies. Denisse is a member of PRSSA and even co-hosted a talk show. She will be attending law school and hopes to one day fight for the rights of all people. Some of Denisse’s favorite things to do are sleep and write in her planner. Find her on one social media, find her on all @doitlikeDen