Meet HCUTRGV’s Editor in Chief: Laura De Leon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

Her Campus role: Editor in Chief

Hometown: Pharr, TX

Major: Mass Communication with a concentration in Broadcast Journalism

Minor: Mexican American Studies

Expected graduation year: 2018

Career plans: I want to eventually work at a major media company. I’m still not sure which one but I know I want to move away from my hometown.

What is your favorite quote, and why?: “Sometimes I’ll start a sentence, and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way. Like an improv conversation. An improversation.” -Michael Scott

I love this quote because I love The Office, and it’s a metaphor for life. I have no idea what I am doing, but I am figuring it out as I grow and go through life.

Favorite show/movie: My favorite shows are The Office, and Grey’s Anatomy. My favorite movie is Across the Universe.

What something many people don’t know about you?: Something a lot of people don’t know about me is that I love 90s rap and alt music. Since I have 3 older siblings I grew up listening to their music so I listened to everything from Notorious B.I.G, Lauryn Hill, The Fugees, Salt N’ Pepa, Nas, Wu-Tang Clan, Beastie Boys to Mariah Carey, No Doubt, The Cranberries, Cake, Weezer and Alanis Morissette. I still listen to today’s music, but 90s music has a special place in my heart.

Kenia is a junior at UTRGV pursuing a degree in Mass Communication with a concentration in broadcast journalism. She is part of the university's dance team and works as a reporter for the UTRGV TV.