Kristen Wiig in Talks to Play Villain in “Wonder Woman” Sequel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

2017 was a banner year for Wonder Woman, everyone’s favorite Amazon warrior princess. Her standalone film garnered critical and commercial success, becoming a cultural phenomenon. Now, casting is underway for the untitled sequel, and director Patty Jenkins is eyeing Kristen Wiig to play the villain in the film opposite Gal Gadot. 

According to Deadline, Wiig is Warner Bros. top choice to play Wonder Woman’s friend-turned-foe, Cheetah. Plot details are scarce, but the DC comics sequel will reportedly be another period piece, set in the 1980s against the backdrop of the Cold War. 

Co-created by William Moulton Marston and H.G. Peter, Cheetah debuted in “Wonder Woman No. 6” in 1943. Canonically, four versions of the feline foe exist; as it currently stands, the mantle of Cheetah is held by British archaeologist Dr. Barbara Ann Minerva. 

Wiig is a bona fide comedy darling. Her breakout role was “Bridesmaids”, for which she received an Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay. However, she has shown her acting range in indies like” Hateship Loveship,” Welcome to Me,” and most notably opposite “Saturday Night Live” alum Bill Hader in “The Skeleton Twins,” in which she portrayed a self-destructive dental hygienist amid a midlife crisis. 

It’s odd casting on paper but considering Wiig’s knack for blurring the line between drama and comedy and Jenkins’ deft direction of screwball-style scenes and old-fashioned drama in “Wonder Woman,” this could be a match made in Olympus. 

Let’s hope Hera hears our prayers and makes this casting a reality. 

The untitled “Wonder Woman” sequel is set to be released Nov. 1, 2019.

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.