This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

President-Elect no more, Donald J. Trump has been sworn into presidency, and life as we know it will never be the same. President Trump’s speech was one that might bring hope to some, and fear to others. For the next four years, he will be our President, whether we like it or not. I have compiled a small list to help us get through these four years as he attempts to “Make America Great Again.”

1. The first step to surviving is to surround yourself with supportive people. In any situation, of course, you want to be surrounded by supportive people, and in times like these you need someone to always have your back, someone to lean on, and a person who will respectfully hear you out when you just need someone to listen. Find those who truly love you, because they will always be there for you. Find friends who also feel like the next four years will be long, too long. These are the friends you’ll need to help you move out of the country if you feel necessary.
  2. Step two: Find a hobby. You’re going to need a pastime to take your mind off things, to distract you from reality just for a little while, or at least until you get used to it. I suggest something like painting; it’s relaxing and fun. You can use this hobby to create political posters, and share your views through art. Perhaps painting isn’t your thing. Try photography, writing, knitting, learn to play a new instrument, start a YouTube channel, cooking, just try something new, anything to keep your mind sane.
  3. Step three is simple, but may also be the most complicated thing on this list. Stay positive. We have no idea what President Trump will do within the next four years, but if he stays true to his campaign we know that things will not be pretty. We have rights, and I suggest we use them correctly and peacefully. Staying positive is the first step in making sure we don’t fight fire with fire. At times we will get angry, and it will feel as if these four years will never end, but staying positive and keeping our eyes on the horizon will help us keep our mind and mental health in good shape.  
  4. Step four: Be the change you want to see. Don’t sit at home and do nothing, get up, go out, and do something, join a club, join a movement. Write to your local elected officials, senators, anyone and everyone. If you believe that climate change is a real issue that needs more attention, go out and find a club at your university – help make a difference. Join a group on Facebook; learn about the things you want to change. Do not sit back and wait for a change, be the change.

I want to end this by thanking all those who participated in the Women’s Marches Saturday. It is important to remember that we have rights and no one can take them away from us. Our right to assemble is important, our freedom of speech is important, and freedom of the press is important. Remember this during the next four years. We will survive. 

UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor
Victoria De Leon is a senior at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and is pursuing a bachelor's degree in Marketing. She plans to pursue a career in the fashion industry as a buyer. Fashion has always been something that she loves and is deeply passionate about. One of Victoria's goals in life is to inspire women to dream big and go after those dreams. She wants to be an inspiration to all the women who grew up in a small town that anything you set your mind to is possible.