The Dangers of Climate Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

Over the few years, the world has seen drastic climate changes, from drastic changes in temperatures to severe natural disasters. Let’s not forget the picture that spoke for itself; a starving polar bear barely able to walk.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT.

According to NASA:

-Earth’s polar ice sheets are losing mass.

-Carbon dioxide levels are in it’s highest numbers ever.

-Earth is getting warmer and warmer every year, 2016 was the record breaking of highest temperatures.

-Glaciers are retrieving almost everywhere.

What Causes Global Warming?

The main cause of global warming is the greenhouse effect, which is caused by human activities like contamination. One of the top pollutants is our own waste. Americans generate up to 254 million tons of trash, more than half of this trash is plastic.

After the plastic is disposed, it could take more than 1,000 years to degrade. Even though plastic could be recycled, only 9% out of disposed plastic gets recycled and sold again. Not only is plastic bad for our environment but it also harms animals and their habitats.

What can you do?

Since most of our waste just goes to landfills to produce pollution, then we should try to make less trash. This movement is called “Zero Waste”. This is an alternative of living plastic-free. As cool as it sounds, it is challenging and no easy task for people that love our planet. Even though it is impossible to live 100% plastic free, in over two years they can fit their plastic waste in a mason jar.

For more information about Zero Waste visit trashisfortossers.com

A Mass Communications major, with a minor in Art and Graphic Design. Passionate about creativity and food. 
Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.