Contestants Wow The Stage In Miss America Pageant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

This Sunday contestants from each state grazed the stage for the 92nd Miss America Pageant. Following months of controversy surrounding the pageant this year was the first year that contestants were not judged in the swimsuit category. Instead Miss America, which is considered a scholarship pageant judged contestants on an on-stage introduction, peer interview, evening gown, talent and final question. The ladies who competed were of all shapes, sizes and racial backgrounds. The ladies competing had all received thousands of dollars in scholarships from the Miss America system, and in addition to being beautiful and talented were also smart. Each one of the ladies is either a current college student or a college graduate, and has accomplished something outstanding. 

The pageant included many memorable moments. Perhaps one of the memorable moments of the night was when Miss Michigan called out her state for not providing drinking water to all of its citizens in reference to the Flint Water Crisis. Miss Michigan’s exact words during her introduction were “From a state with 84% of the US fresh water but none for its residents to drink”. Immediately after the introductions fans of the pageant were impressed with the contestants bravery for calling out her state. 

This year’s pageant was being called Miss America 2.0 partly due to the fact that the swimsuit competition no longer exists, but mostly because they are trying to re-brand themselves to focus on female empowerment. Throughout the night they played songs like “Girls Like You” by Maroon 5, “Girl On Fire” by Alicia Keys and “Scars to Your Beautiful” by Alessia Cara all of which are songs that empower females. 

At the end of the night it was Miss New York, Nia Franklin who won the title of Miss America. As the new face of Miss America, Nia will participate in various charity events throughout the year in addition to receiving scholarship money. 

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.