Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

Many students at the University of Texas Rio Grande have Hispanic backgrounds, which is why this month should be of great importance for us. On Sept. 15 Hispanic Heritage Month kicked off. This month is a celebration of the histories, cultures and contributions of Hispanic people. Originally it began as weeklong celebration in 1968, but has since been expanded to a month long celebration. During this month Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico and Chile celebrate their independence days. Also celebrated during this month are Columbus Day and Dia de la Raza. Hispanic Heritage Month is important, because there is so much to celebrate!

So how can we celebrate Hispanic Heritage month? There are so many ways to celebrate Hispanic Heritage month. A simple way to celebrate is by learning about Hispanic people who broke barriers. For example did you know Paloma Herrera was one of the first Hispanic ballerinas at American Ballet Theatre or that Alicia Montemayor was the first woman to be elected into national office?

Another way to celebrate Hispanic Heritage month is by learning more about another Hispanic culture other than your own. A good way to do this is by trying new food from another Hispanic culture, learning the history of another Hispanic culture or wearing traditional clothing from another Hispanic culture.

There are many other ways to celebrate this month such as; learning Spanish if you don’t already know it, donating to those effected by the earthquakes in Mexico, donating to those effected by the hurricanes in Puerto Rico and Cuba, taking a folklorico dance class or even just reading up on the history of Hispanic Heritage Month.

However you decide to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, don’t forget to remember the importance of the month, and don’t forget that Hispanic Heritage Month is about the many diverse countries within the Hispanic culture. Happy Hispanic Heritage Month! 

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.
UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor