This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

1. Checking to see if there’s toilet paper before sitting down

Everyone has experienced this in a public restroom: after using the restroom you reach for the toilet paper only to notice there is none! 

2. When leaving, look behind you to make sure you’re not leaving anything behind

It’s very convenient to look behind where you were sitting to make sure nothing is missing or left behind. We don’t want to lose an important journal, textbook, or comfy sweater.

3. Before you leave your house, make sure the door is locked

You might not think house robberies are not that common down in the Valley, it is still important to double check the door lock when stepping out.

4. Check that your zipper is up

Before you leave the restroom, make sure your fly isn’t open in order to avoid any stares.

5. After eating, check your teeth

Let’s admit it, no one’s gonna tell you that you have broccoli stuck in your teeth. It does not hurt to check at a restroom mirror after eating. And while you’re at it, retouch your hair and makeup!

6. Check your receipt to make sure you got the correct amount of change

Who doesn’t like money? When shopping, it’s important to re-check your receipts to make sure they didn’t charge you more than they should have. One time, my mom fortunately checked her receipt on time and realized the store had charged her 16 extra dollars! That’s enough to buy a highlight at Sephora.  

UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor