timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things That Happened This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTRGV chapter.

1. Kylie Jenner Announced the birth of her baby:  

For months fans have been speculating that the youngest Jenner sister Kylie was pregnant. Kylie herself confirmed these rumors this past Sunday, and announced that her baby girl was born on February 1st with a lengthy letter to her fans apologizing for keeping her pregnancy a secret. She also released a video with footage from the nine months leading up to giving birth. On Tuesday Kylie shared a first glimpse of her baby girl on Instagram, and since then it has become the most liked Instagram post ever. In the same post she revealed her daughter’s name to be Stormi.  

2. Aly Raisman, Jordyn Wieber and hundreds of other women made statements at Larry Nassar’s trial: 

A few months ago famed Olympic gymnast McKayla Maroney spoke out and said that she was allegedly sexually abused by former USA gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar. Since then hundreds of other gymnasts and young women revealed they too were survivors of Nassar’s abuse. A little over a week ago the trial was coming to a conclusion, but not before the victims could come forward and give statements. Some of the ladies who made statements include Olympic gymnasts Aly Raisman and Jordyn Wieber.  

3. Ellen Degeneres celebrated her 60th birthday: 

On January 26th famous talk show host Ellen Degeneres celebrated her 60th birthday. In true Ellen fashion she celebrated with a two day birthday special on her show. The special featured a ton of celebrity guest appearances including Michelle Obama, Sofia Vergara, Channing Tatum, Jimmy Kimmel, Portia de Rossi and Kevin Hart. In addition to the celebrity appearances Ellen also received birthday messages from dozens of other celebrities during the two day event.  

4. The 2018 Winter Olympics began:  

While opening ceremonies aren’t until this Friday the 9th the Winter Olympics officially began Wednesday evening. On Wednesday night ice chest/curling and men’s ski jumping will take place. The following day prior to the opening ceremonies, figure skating will begin. After the opening ceremonies on Friday the Olympics will officially be in full swing, and athletes will be competing for a coveted spot on the Olympic podium signifying that they won a medal.  

5. The Philadelphia Eagles won the Super Bowl:  

This past Sunday was one of the most popular sporting events of the year the Super Bowl. The Philadelphia Eagles played against the New England Patriots. The entire game was very close, and had sports fans on the edge of there seats. In the end the Eagles won with a 41-33 score. Other highlights of the game included Pink singing the National Anthem despite having the flu, Justin Timberlake’s halftime performance and dozens of amazing commercials. 

Kennedy Castillo is a student at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley majoring in communications. She is the founder of her personal brand Kennedy C Media consisting of KennedyCBlog.com, The Simply Kennedy Podcast and Kennedy Castillo Youtube Channel. She previously worked with Riddle & Bloom as an Amazon Prime Student Ambassador. She is a freelance writer with published articles in Woman2Woman Magazine, Glue Magazine, Lune Magazine, Vinazine and Her Culture Magazine. She is the current Campus Correspondent and President of the UTRGV Her Campus Chapter and previously worked as a Her Campus Chapter Advisor, Her Campus Chapter Expansion Intern and Her Campus High School Ambassador Program Advisor.
UTRGV Class of 2018  Mass Comm Major Mexican-American Studies Minor