Hungry For The Hunger Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

After Harry Potter ended and as Twilight is wrapping up, everybody in Hollywood is frantically searching for the next big thing. Contestants like the Percy Jackson & The Olympians and the His Dark Materials series made an early shot at trying to fill the void but ended up short. This year, another contestant, is coming with full force. The Hunger Games is backed up with tonnes of strong marketing including figurines, gift cards, a trading card game, and a line of nail polishes. While other franchises are amazing and successful in their own right, here are Her Campus U Toronto’s top 4 things that set the Hunger Games apart.

1. The Plot: the Hunger Games is a dystopian themed series, set in a world where the United States has become Panem after many years of war and destruction. The Capitol controls the 12 districts and exhibits its power by hosting an annual event called the Hunger Games. Each district provides one girl and boy from ages 12 to 18 as tributes in the battle to the death as the rest of the country is forced to watch. It is truly the ultimate form of twisted entertainment. 
  2. The Amazing Cast: packed with powerhouse stars like Jennifer Lawrence and U of T alumnus Donald Sutherland, this film is sure to live up to the hype. The Hunger Games is filled with talented stars, stunt people, producers, musicians, and not to mention, Susanne Collins, the author of the series, in on the executive team of the film so fans of the book don’t have to worry about Hollywood changing their favourite book too much.
  3. Fantastic Fan Gear: there are so many things to collect for Hunger Games fans! T-shirts, duplicate Mockingjay pins, trading cards…just to name a few. The Hunger Games have collaborated with several companies including China Glaze and CafePress. While it may make some fans broke, it is so thrilling to see how many things there are to collect and it keeps the hype fresh and exciting. 
  4. The Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, Arcade Fire, and the Decembrists are some of the many artists who wrote songs for the Hunger Games! Also, James Newton Howard, Oscar-nominated composer, is writing the score for the movie! If you’ve haven’t heard of him, he’s composed music for The Dark Knight, The Bourne Legacy, and Crazy Heart so you know it’s going to be great!

What part of the Hunger Games are you most looking forward to? Let us know in the comments below!

Photo credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games  

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.